Variables between PHP and JS

Mark H

Hi all,I started this in another thread, but thought I'd start a new thread before the "hijack" of someone else's thread got too long.What I need to know is whether the JS on my page can access variables defined in PHP?e.g. If I set up $signedIn = 'true' using PHP, can I then "grab" that variable and use it in the JS on the page?I've had a quick look at AJAX, but that seems to cover data transfer more complex than a simple variable from PHP to JS.Thanks,Mark.

There's no way to just access PHP variables. By the time Javascript is running, all the PHP data has been destroyed except for what has been sent to the client.You can use PHP to print out the variables that you want into some Javascript code. But by the time Javascript can use them, PHP will not be running anymore.

There's no way to just access PHP variables. By the time Javascript is running, all the PHP data has been destroyed except for what has been sent to the client.You can use PHP to print out the variables that you want into some Javascript code. But by the time Javascript can use them, PHP will not be running anymore.
Would I be able to use a _SESSION variable, and then use that variable in javascript using PHP within the javascript? Or would the PHP variable, even if a _SESSION, not be accessible to the browser?

$_SESSION is not available to the browser, but if you set a session variable you can access it with AJAX by having a separate PHP file that prints a specified session variable, or sets it based on GET or POST information sent by Javascript.There's no way around it without AJAX.

session is only accesible in php context. i am not sure why you need to acces the php variable in js. what you are trying to do actualy?

Thanks for your help...I'll get back to looking at AJAX!birbal:I am wanting to use PHP for all processing of a mini forum. Yet, I was planning on using JS to create a number of <DIV>s (or, rather, change <DIV> CSS from display: hidden to display: block and vice versa) which would be different depending upon whether a user is logged in or not. I need the JS to be able to execute only if logged-in, or, in another instance, logged out.Thanks greatly!:)

Rather than using Javascript to show or hide divs, why not use PHP to decide whether they need to be printed or not?If the user has Javascript disabled they may be able to access parts of your site that you don't want them to see.

if i undersatnd the situation..why not surveing two content one if registered and another for guest. you can check in php file.. a user is loged in or not. if yes show the member part else guest part.if you want to strict the content for guest and member the display:block/hidden will not be suitable. cause disableing css or editing it can make it available to client browser.

Rather than using Javascript to show or hide divs, why not use PHP to decide whether they need to be printed or not?If the user has Javascript disabled they may be able to access parts of your site that you don't want them to see.
Thanks, I think that may well be the solution I need. I'm presuming from my limited knowledge and what you say that I can add such <DIV>s using PHP.One thing, though, is that I am creating a drop-down box, using Javascript to execute on mousedown. If I add such js to act only on a specific <DIV>, I would think that would be my solution.:)

Archived