calvin182

getting file's extention

get the URL or the address then take the last 4 charactorslike this:$file = "/folder/file.txt";$extension = substr($file, strlen($file) - 4);$extension will be .txt(with jpeg you will not have the dot)

that wont work though. ther are five letter file extensions such as .class which is a java applet file. maybe some way to get all the text after the last dot?

the only extentions i'll be needing this for are .bmp .gif .jpeg .jpg .png basically image types, so does anybody know how to get the stuff from the . and on?

FINE, were take the easy way out... I was trying to have fun!

<?php$path_parts = pathinfo('/www/htdocs/index.html');print $path_parts['extension'];?>

if you need more than the ending like: path?arg=value#anchorthen I would go with parse_url ( string url )this will output:Array( [scheme] => http [host] => hostname [user] => username [pass] => password [path] => /path [query] => arg=value [fragment] => anchor)but if you need from the dot on, you will have to break it at the . (dot) and take the $var[1]

I know your problem is already solved, but this may be an easier way:

$file_name="12345.abcd";preg_match('/\.[^.]+$/', $file_name, $ext);

So the extension there would be ".abcd" and the Preg_match would send it out as an array, so use $ext[0].