HTML5-Is CSS, Flash and Javascript needed?

Baxtex

HelloI have been using html for a while and i want to start learning HTML5, but shuld you save the files like you do normaly? Like mywebsite.htm ?EDIT:As i said, i'm going to start Learing HTML5. I Have only done HTML4 before, but do i need to know like CSS for this? W3 schools says the following: "New features to HTML5:The canvas element for drawingThe video and audio elements for media playbackBetter support for local offline storageNew content specific elements, like article, footer, header, nav, sectionNew form controls, like calendar, date, time, email, url, search"I understand that you can get a "good-looking" site without the need for Flash,CSS and Javascript, or am i wrong?

Yes, though it's more common practice to use the full .html extension. Not necessarily better; just more conventional.
Thanks! As i have understand it, in DOS, you could just have 3 letters as an extension.

you may not need flash, but you will still want to use CSS and Javascript. Better support for not having to rely on third party plugins and is the main advancement being made with HTML5 (and cleaning up a lot of deprecated habits and other various enhancements). However, that has nothing to do with keeping markup/content separate from style/layout (CSS) and/or interactivity (Javascript).

@thescientistI don't really understand what you mean:"Better support for not having to rely on third party plugins and is the main advancement being made with HTML5 (and cleaning up a lot of deprecated habits and other various enhancements). However, that has nothing to do with keeping markup/content separate from style/layout (CSS) and/or interactivity (Javascript)."There is support for not using third party plugins (like CSS) but still I should use it? Sounds strange that they want to add support for not using them when i am going to?:)

There is support for not using third party plugins (like CSS) but still I should use it? Sounds strange that they want to add support for not using them when i am going to?:)
CSS is not a plugin. It is a (markup? somebody correct me) language.Third party plugins are things like Quicktime, Flash, and Shockwave.

CSS is not a plugin. It's meant to be used in conjunction with HTML to style and layout a page. HTML just provides the structure by which content can be embedded/shown on a page. Javascript is a scripting language that can be executed within a browser to add interactivity and added functionality to a webpage (but can also be disabled by the user). Flash is developed by Macromedia (since bought out by Adobe) as plugin that is not a standard of the W3C and requires special software to be downloaded and installed in a users web browsers. Without the flash plugin, you cannot view Flash content. With HTML5, you can achieve more of the features that a Flash enabled site would offer, without actually having to have Flash.

Okay!But i have heard that some people don't want to use Flash (Apple Ipad somebody?) and Java anymore beacuse it takes to much "performance/power" from the computer, and that HTML5 is the right way to go beacuse HTML5 can offer features that Flash have, but without flash? IS this what you are saying "thescientist"?

pretty much. It could also be explained from the technical perspective of reducing dependancies, in that everything you need is in one "location", in this case within the HTML5 specification, thus not needing to rely on outside sources to achieve the functionality you want. Another perspective is that getting behind HTML5 supports a more open and standard web (which is one of Apple's reasons for not supporting it on their mobile and tablet browsers).

Browsers typically render a document differently depending on the doctype, and especially if there is none. This is a special problem with Internet Explorer, which uses extremely diferent rules for rendering a document when no doctype is present.

Browsers typically render a document differently depending on the doctype, and especially if there is none. This is a special problem with Internet Explorer, which uses extremely diferent rules for rendering a document when no doctype is present.
In other words, no, don't ignore the doctype.The doctype for HTML 5 is just:<!DOCTYPE html>

The official DTD page you linked to does in fact say that this DTD is not standard. But neither is HTML5. They are so close to being standardized that browsers recognize them and behave correctly, however. And I expect the <!DOCTYPE html> will become official very soon.

With HTML5, you can achieve more of the features that a Flash enabled site would offer, without actually having to have Flash.
What exactly can be achieved with HTML5 that can be achieved with Flash? Like..HTML5 supports, video and audio..but as for actually creating "flash" creations...is the canvas feature used in some way other than the examples on w3schools where all the images are stationary? I have a small bit of flash on my site, slides through images and can be controlled with buttons, and I was thinking, oh, I will use HTML5 and eliminate the need for Flash, but then when I went to the tutorial, I didn't find anything useful to me.
In other words, no, don't ignore the doctype.The doctype for HTML 5 is just:<!DOCTYPE html>
What if your site primarily uses HTML4? Would it still validate if you use the old doctype and have HTML5 incorporated as well?

What exactly can be achieved with HTML5 that can be achieved with Flash? Like..HTML5 supports, video and audio..but as for actually creating "flash" creations...is the canvas feature used in some way other than the examples on w3schools where all the images are stationary? I have a small bit of flash on my site, slides through images and can be controlled with buttons, and I was thinking, oh, I will use HTML5 and eliminate the need for Flash, but then when I went to the tutorial, I didn't find anything useful to me.
Have a look at this:http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/creatin...h-html-5-can-1/
What if your site primarily uses HTML4? Would it still validate if you use the old doctype and have HTML5 incorporated as well?
If you use HTML 5 tags and attributes, then no, it will not validate against any other DTD.

Archived