Feedback on First Website

qcwd

I would really like some feedback and suggestions for improvement on my first website I created for my friends small business. I also have a question about browser compatibilty. When I view the website from different computers it looks different. Sometime you have to use the horizonal scroll button at the bottom. How do you fix this? Thanks in advance for the feedback and suggestions. http://www.glowingexpressions.com

to ensure the greatest cross browser compatibility, you'll want to make sure you're using a strict DTD and make sure to validate your website. It looks like you unclosed tags, so it's anyone's guess what browser A vs. browser B. will do to compensate. Also, extensive use of positioning unless for specific purposes will typically always lead to funky behavior, as 99% of the time it get's used in place of more reliable box model positioning techniques; i.e. using floats, margins, and paddings. Also, it seems interesting that you block of each section of CSS. You might want to look for similarities in the code to reduce any duplications, and consider placing it in an external stylesheet. Just a few technical things I noticed for improving what's under the hood.Outwards appearances and layout look pretty good. Not bad for a first attempt.

Design is good, clean, distinct, and appears original.Criticism:a.) doesn't fit in 1024 wide screenb.) company name too small - very hard to identify the company's namec.) if one of the main objectives is to sell product - then it should be on top navigationd.) cannot get to products from about, faq, or contact page.e.) font formatting issues, sizes are not contained in light green areas as I suspect they were designed/intended tof.) just one note on your code though, get all those CSS definitions into a linked CSS file - class or id those divs or maintenance is going to be a nightmare.With some minor CSS refinements, most of these issues can be resolved. So for that, I'd say its a great job for being your first.

I would really like some feedback and suggestions for improvement on my first website I created for my friends small business. I also have a question about browser compatibilty. When I view the website from different computers it looks different. Sometime you have to use the horizonal scroll button at the bottom. How do you fix this? Thanks in advance for the feedback and suggestions. http://www.glowingexpressions.com
agree with Skemcin - page too wide and can only get to your product form the home page, and validate your code.also CLICK HERE for more information sounds amateurish. Don't ask me to click - tell me why I am clicking, for example "description of the fragrances" is a good clue as to what I will find when I click on that purple undelrined text.finally, the diagonal stripes can be hyptonizing for people with epilepsy and other ailments that affect visual acuity.Colours are very pleasing, font size is good and relatively uncluttered - just tell me what you have withjout overselling it...Guy

Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it. I will work on fixing and updating my website based on the suggestions made.
id love to add that its a good layout. the color scheme goes nice, i like the stipes they accent the whitespace.on that note. you really need to stop using images!use divs and you can use css for a lot! its amazing how much faster (for the layout). especially for text. its soo much better of an idea not to use images because of google and other search engines for optimization. id love for someone to maybe better explain that for me. i dont know tooo much but enough to back that up.

search engines scan a page for semantically tagged text. (i.e. header and p tags). Hard to read text if it's all images.

search engines scan a page for semantically tagged text. (i.e. header and p tags). Hard to read text if it's all images.
More on images"Fragrance Information" is NOT linked. Give it text decoration none and the same default colour for visited active etc.That way google has some text to wrap with the link.also give the image underneath some alt text AND a title. You really need both. Read up on the purpose for each.....I don't believe there is alt text on any of your images.Same goes for the other two image links in the centre of the page.I'm glad you listened to some of our suggestions but it seems you overlooked an important one from a marketing perspective. Is Glowing Expressions your company name? If so why to I need to get closer to the screen and squint to read it? Why is it a graphic on top of the page? You can do so much with CSS it should not be too hard to put real text above the stylized GEThe company name does not show up in TEXT near the logical top of the page...i.e the first thing the search engine sees on the page should probably be your name.Guy

Archived