Critiques & Suggestions, please:)

sonicphantasm

Hi, I'm doing a VERY simple layout and going for minimalism at the moment. Before I begin a marketing campaign, I'd like to mention the main intent of this site is just to get facebook "likes" before anything else. I will be adding moer, but like I said, this is phase one in my approach.1 - Does this work for you (read: did you "like the page"?)2 - Why or why not (and if you are super anti drugs or anything please spare the speeches, we all appreciate it:)www.420peoplelikethis.comThank you for your input!

well, as far as splash pages go, it's alright.Pretty simple but not really much available to elaborate on as far as constructive criticism is concerned.

Since you asked: stop putting presentational attributes in your HTML (like align) and stop putting event handlers and JavaScript strings in your HTML (like onload, onmouseout, etc.). In fact, be aware that CSS can swap images more efficiently than JavaScript can, and it's not very hard to learn.Every time I see those old MacroMedia functions I cringe. MM_findObj isn't even useful JavaScript anymore.

Hi, I'm doing a VERY simple layout and going for minimalism at the moment. Before I begin a marketing campaign, I'd like to mention the main intent of this site is just to get facebook "likes" before anything else. I will be adding moer, but like I said, this is phase one in my approach.1 - Does this work for you (read: did you "like the page"?)2 - Why or why not (and if you are super anti drugs or anything please spare the speeches, we all appreciate it:)www.420peoplelikethis.comThank you for your input!
Clean, crisp bright good contrast - not much else to say about the appearance.....let's look at useability.If this is a splash page that will eventually lead to other content, you have very little chance of being FOUND. Search engines like to latch on to some text. There is barely any alt text on the page.If your content will go further down, you have used up the entire first screenshot (before I have to scroll) with one image that does not exactly tell me what this website is about nor why I would want to be here.Agree with DD. Save javascript for "stuff" you cannot do with HTML and CSS.Validate your code. Even with so little on the page, there are 35 errors. These are probably all a cascade resulting from unencoded ampersand.Guy

Very good points and I appreciate all of them...As far as the encoding I am using Dreamweaver... is this a bad start? Is this best to do all from scratch? The only js I think I am using is for the Facebook thing, but I am assuming the rollovers are made with JS then...So if this is the main problem, are there yays for me discontinuing use with dreamweaver for the design mode? Any other programs you'd suggest that keep things more validated for someone with much less experience? Thanks again!

Very good points and I appreciate all of them...As far as the encoding I am using Dreamweaver... is this a bad start? Is this best to do all from scratch? The only js I think I am using is for the Facebook thing, but I am assuming the rollovers are made with JS then...So if this is the main problem, are there yays for me discontinuing use with dreamweaver for the design mode? Any other programs you'd suggest that keep things more validated for someone with much less experience? Thanks again!
In the old days...and I mean the old days, when I was programming 8080 and z-80 computers, we referred to compilers as creating "spaghetti code". In those days, when we had only 64k of memory to work with, every byte counted. It has also been my experience that many wysiwyg HTML editors create good looking but not very clean and valid pages.So yes my suggestion is to learn a bit more about HTML and a bit less about how to use Dreamweaver. Back in 199X I was at a seminar where I won a door prize of the entire Dreamweaver suite. Everybody was happy for me but I quickly unloaded the 5 boxes unoipened for $100 to someone who needed them more than me :-)Guy

Archived