How to stop spam on website forms

evo2010

HelloI have a number of forms on my site which have started to receive lots of spam. As the form is also cc'd to the advertiser they too are receiving the spam messages which obviously reflects badly on me and Im concerned we could lose customers. I tried installing the captcha from google but I was unsuccessful however I personally do not like their version - far to big and even I struggle to read it! - so I was wondering if anyone knows of any other methods that can be used to try and stop these spammers and which are simple to install (my programming skills are limited). My site is asp and the form is an Upload.Form Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you want to use a captcha, try recaptcha. Other things you can are things like using random names for your fields, so the automated bots don't know which fields are for what, and include several fields with regular names ("subject", "comments", "feedback", etc) which are hidden from the user. If the form gets submitted and those hidden fields with the regular names are filled out, then that's probably a spammer.

I based my spam-blocking system off of a post here. I implemented a very similar system, but then I started getting manual spam (hint: they usually use ANCIENT browsers; One spammer on my site was using IE 2). Also, I block comments that have words like "money" in the name field, and when thename is more than two (or was it three?) words long. I haven't gotten any spam recently.

Archived