Advanced Programming Question

zachruss92

I have a really good business idea. I want to create an online version of lets say Adobe Dreamweaver. I know that this is a very time intensive project, that could take several years to complete. I would like to know what my best way to do this was. I was thinking about making it a flash app to do this, but I do not know how much flash will be around. I was then thinking about a Java Applet, but i'm not sure if its capabilities can do it. So basically I would like to know what languages I should start to learn if i want to start this project. I know I will need to learn at least PHP and MySQL, but I dont know if ASP and Microsoft SQL Server would be a better bet for what i'm doing either.Thanks in advance for anyone's input

If you're questioning Java's capabilities, they're basically only limited by the skill of the programmer.
Well, I want to basically make an adobe Dreamweaver available online. I just want to know if java would be the ideal way to do that, i know that video games were made in a java applet, for speed, and compatibilities with like a SQL database and php.And I do want to create something like what you saw on those links, but those are just basic HTML editors, I want to create some of the cool features of dreamweaver like WYSIWYG, and things that generate simple code like some of the basic html and css information, also can have like a tabbed feature that you can edit multiple features at once, and have features such as FTP, so someone would be able to edit their web site on the fly. This i know is an advanced task, but I just want to know what my best bet to be able to do it is.As for JAVA: What is my best bet for learning things with JAVA, is there any recommended web site, or book(s) that I can read so i will be able to do what i want to?Thanks for everyone's help!

Kodingen looks pretty powerful, that even includes database management, FTP and shell access, and SVN access. That's the type of thing you're competing against. It looks like they use Javascript for most things, but you can open files in one of several editors.

Kodingen looks pretty powerful, that even includes database management, FTP and shell access, and SVN access. That's the type of thing you're competing against. It looks like they use Javascript for most things, but you can open files in one of several editors.
What about something like the Microsoft office live docs. That is where you can create documents on an online office suite. I could do something like that, but it automatically converts to HTML/CSS. I envisioned something like that. Would that be done in Java, or some other language?

I would probably stay away from Java if you're doing something online. It's powerful, but not everyone has Java, they might not have a version that works with your software, they might block Java or not have it enabled, etc. Flash might be a better option, but the Google Docs platform is done with just Javascript and server-side code.

I would probably stay away from Java if you're doing something online. It's powerful, but not everyone has Java, they might not have a version that works with your software, they might block Java or not have it enabled, etc. Flash might be a better option, but the Google Docs platform is done with just Javascript and server-side code.
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. I was looking into this a little bit more, and people are saying AJAX is a good idea for making these, i know that is Javascript and XML. I would appreciate any recommendations to learn Javascript, and I don't know what my best bet for a CGI is, I was thinking PHP, but i know that isn't very secureAny recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

security is all what you make of it. If you know what you are doing and take some good necessary precautions, then PHP would be fine. Also, AJAX doesn't actually have anything to do with XML directly. It's really just an object used to make asynchronous requests to the server.

security is all what you make of it. If you know what you are doing and take some good necessary precautions, then PHP would be fine. Also, AJAX doesn't actually have anything to do with XML directly. It's really just an object used to make asynchronous requests to the server.
Yea I know that about AJAX, that is why I would want to use it, to show real-time WYSIWIG editor. Any recommendations on books or websites, to lean what I need to. I know that w3schools offers a short javascritp tutorial, but I can imagine it gets more in depth than that, there are only a few pages of itthanks

The Mozilla Docs are a pretty robust online resource. The O'Reilly series books are pretty good hard copy resources.Other than that, the best way for you to learn things is to Google specific topics when they come up.There's no one specific reference for JavaScript. This thread explains that pretty well.
That was a pretty good summary... :)

I just bought the book "javascript and ajax for the web" I know the book just gives a basic overview for me to do this, so I would like to know my best bet on where to go after I finish this book. I know two good books are "javascript, the definitive guide" and "the javascript bible" I just wanted recommendations. I appreciate everyone's help.

Archived