error with sessions

yoshida

I get this error when I save a variable to a session, what does it mean and what should I do?

Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0
I use PHP 4.4.2. Variables are saved to a session using
$variable=$_POST['fieldname'];session_register('fieldname');

and read from a session using

$variable=$_SESSION['fieldname']

When I refresh the page all is OK and everything works fine, but this is just anoying. Do I use the wrong syntax for this PHP version, or should I adapt a config file for PHP or Apache? Please help me. I try my very best to understand how php programming works.EDIT: got it. session_register is (unsafe) old school. I use the new way right now, which I can't look up at the moment. No errors for now.

I never had this error, but you might want to try it without using session_register()Just use $_SESSION = ;edit:Ah you discovered that already :)

Like this? $_SESSION['ctyp'] = $ctyp; :)@dcole: did that, disregarding the config file's warning. Meh, it's just an intranet solution, so who cares.