what's the different of SQL and MySQL

gongpex

MySQL & PostgreSQL are database programs. SQL is the langauage MySQL uses to manipulate the database. I haven't looked into PostgreSQL much, so I'm not sure if it uses SQL or what makes it different. MySQL is the most popular database program, and is often used alongside PHP and the Apache Web Server.

MySQL & PostgreSQL are database programs. SQL is the langauage MySQL uses to manipulate the database. I haven't looked into PostgreSQL much, so I'm not sure if it uses SQL or what makes it different. MySQL is the most popular database program, and is often used alongside PHP and the Apache Web Server.
Mysql is most likely the most popular free database platform but in the enterprise your more likely to find Oracle or Microsoft databases. As far as I know there all just SQL database platforms and they more or less have the same basic commands and probably a few that are vendor specific (The more technical aspects will differ though, like maximum table sizes etc.). I was recently introduced to Oracle 10g Express as part of my schoolwork and looking at the SQL statements its pretty much the same as MySQL but the user interface is a lot more advanced than say a phpMyadmin or the built in mysqld executable.

Archived