major issues with link/list styles

novicenate

I NEED HELP WITH THIS. I HAVE THE FOLLOWING IN MY HTML:<div class="submenu" style="position:absolute; left:100px; top:125px; height: 1px;"> <ul> <li><a href="#">Mission Statement</a></li> <li><a href="#">Directions</a></li> <li><a href="#">Contact Us</a></li> <li><a href="#">History</a></li> </ul></div>AND IN MY STYLE SHEET, I HAVE THIS....submenuon{position:absolute; display:block; padding:5px; font-size:11pt}div.submenuon ul{width:500px}div.submenuon li{padding:5px;list-style-type:none; width:450px}div.submenuon a:link{text-decoration:none; background-color:white; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:visited{text-decoration:none; background-color:white; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:hover{text-decoration:underline; background-color:orange; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:active{text-decoration:none; background-color:blue; width:450px; padding:5px}MY QUESTION IS, WHY WILL THE LINKS WITHIN THE LIST ITEMS NOT GO OUT TO THE SET WIDTH??? THE CODE IS PROBABLY A LITTLE SCREWED UP BECAUSE I HAVE TRIED SO MANY THINGS. HERE IS WHAT I'M TRYING TO GET TO...I HAVE A NORMAL LIST (<ul><li><a>link</a></li></ul>) AND I WANT SO WHEN THE LINK IS MOUSEOVERED, IT CHANGES STYLES SO THAT A SPECIFIC WIDTH CHANGES COLORS. I KNOW THIS IS CONFUSING, BUT AFTER SPENDING TIME ON THIS, I REALLY LOST THE ABILITY TO CARE ABOUT MAKING SENSE. IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE HELP.(ALL CAPS DONE TO DIFFERINTIATE CODE WITH TALK)

well to differentiate code, do this:

by clicking the code button when replying or just type it in around your code. next, if you put styles in the a:link properties, you don't need to put them in the other a properties also.and why do you have the div's width set to 1px?LG

Edited by Little Goat

I don't know why the height is set at 1px - probably just an oversight. sorryThe reason I am differing the a's within the div from normal a's is because they are part of a menu system that I want to look differently than the links contained withint the page content. So again, can you help me figure out why it's not working right?? thanks

I'll tell you why:in css you have .submenuon:

AND IN MY STYLE SHEET, I HAVE THIS....submenuon{position:absolute; display:block; padding:5px; font-size:11pt}div.submenuon ul{width:500px}div.submenuon li{padding:5px;list-style-type:none; width:450px}div.submenuon a:link{text-decoration:none; background-color:white; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:visited{text-decoration:none; background-color:white; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:hover{text-decoration:underline; background-color:orange; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:active{text-decoration:none; background-color:blue; width:450px; padding:5px}
while the div's class is submenu without the ON:
<div class="submenu" style="position:absolute; left:100px; top:125px; height: 1px;"><ul><li><a href="#">Mission Statement</a></li><li><a href="#">Directions</a></li><li><a href="#">Contact Us</a></li><li><a href="#">History</a></li></ul></div>
here is the code I came up with that works fine:
<html><head><style type="text/css">body{background-color:#000000;}.submenuon{position:absolute; display:block; padding:5px; font-size:11pt}div.submenuon ul{width:500px}div.submenuon li{padding:5px;list-style-type:none; width:450px}div.submenuon a:link{text-decoration:none; background-color:white; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:visited{text-decoration:none; background-color:white; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:hover{text-decoration:underline; background-color:orange; width:450px; padding:5px}div.submenuon a:active{text-decoration:none; background-color:blue; width:450px; padding:5px}</style><body><div class="submenuon" style="position:absolute; left:100px; top:125px; height: 1px;"><ul><li><a href="#">Mission Statement</a></li><li><a href="#">Directions</a></li><li><a href="#">Contact Us</a></li><li><a href="#">History</a></li></ul></div></body></html>

notice the div class has submenuon.LG

OK, I guess let's start over. I'll just tell you what I want to accomplish. I need a CSS menu that has submenus. I've tried the one from A List Apart's website, and can't get it to work. I'm sorry to be so difficult. I am learning.thanks