Python

Den-Dezyn

Hi i have just been on Nettuts+ and they are starting a series of tuts from scratch on Python. I dont know what it is and should i learn it or should i concentrate on some other programming tool. Your expert views are definitely requested.

After some thought i have decided to leave Python for now as i want to learn javascript first then i think i will go on to php i think this will be more useful to me as things stand.

Probably a good idea. I always recommend learning JavaScript before learning any server-side language anyway. Python and Ruby show promise as server-side languages, but they don't have nearly the community support that PHP does. In 10 years, who knows? 15 years ago, Perl was the language of choice.

I haven't really looked into Python, but I know that Ruby would beat PHP into the dust if PHP didn't have the advantage of simple deployment and widespread support on servers. Ruby, although much more concise, is slightly harder to deploy and isn't supported on as many web servers. AFAIK, Python also promotes readable code as does Ruby.

PHP actually gets something of a bad reputation because of its users. It's perfectly possible to write very efficient, secure, elegant, readable code with PHP. The problem is the multitude of users who don't know how to program and go around copying and pasting code without understanding it, and ending up with poorly-written, inefficient, insecure code. Then they decide that since they know so much PHP, might as well put up a blog to teach others, and then you've got the blind leading the blind. That type of situation just comes from PHP being so widespread and easy to get into, but it's not a fault of the language itself.

Archived