Google Makes Me Validate Searches

Nancy Ward

Almost every time I search for a tag or term within W3Schools, Google makes me type some stupid text in order to proceed with the search. This has been going on for the past week or two and takes more time than I'm willing to spend on validating my search! I could spend that time studying rather than jumping through Google's impossible hoops!By way of explanation, I'm using Microsoft's Step by Step HTML and XHTML by Faithe Wempen copyrighted 2006. Because there are many outdated instructions and/or errors, I find myself referring to W3Schools when Microsoft Expression Web 4 objects to a particular form of code.Is there a way to stop Google taking this arbitary action!? I *do not* use Google as my regular search engine; I prefer Bing instead.

like a CAPTCHA? squiggly text you have to type in the box? Never heard of that before.Why not search using Bing if that's your preferred searchin engine? I'd think that it would be returning links to W3Schools as well.This happen even when you use the site search on W3Schools site?Expression Web, eh? Think I took a look at that some years back, seemed to be ok at a glance. Did a google search for "google captcha unusual traffic" and do see some discussion of the problem, though I haven't seen a solution yetnot particularly informative...http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bi...py?answer=86640

Edited by packrat

I have never had this experience at the W3Schools or ever before, in 3+ years, heard of anyone else having such an experience. I suspect your browser has been configured to behave in this way without your really knowing about it.

like a CAPTCHA? squiggly text you have to type in the box? Never heard of that before.Why not search using Bing if that's your preferred searchin engine? I'd think that it would be returning links to W3Schools as well.This happen even when you use the site search on W3Schools site?Expression Web, eh? Think I took a look at that some years back, seemed to be ok at a glance. Did a google search for "google captcha unusual traffic" and do see some discussion of the problem, though I haven't seen a solution yetnot particularly informative...http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bi...py?answer=86640
Yeah, a CAPTCHA is what it is, and the URL you provided shows exactly what's happening. And I've never seen it happen before either. :)This *only* happens when I search the W3Schools site. Otherwise I use Bing, which is my default search engine. I don't have a clue about why I can't search the W3Schools site with Bing, since it's my default search engine. Yeah, I'm getting a little redundant here. And I wish I could search with Bing!Expression Web 4 is (according to Microsoft and pros who use it) HTML/XHTML/CSS standards compliant. And since I 'earned' it by taking a miles long survey, I use it. :) Right now, though, I'm learning HTML/XHTML/CSS before tackling the actuall EW4 web application.

I have never had this experience at the W3Schools or ever before, in 3+ years, heard of anyone else having such an experience. I suspect your browser has been configured to behave in this way without your really knowing about it.
FWIW, I'm using Internet Explorer 9 64 bit. Maybe Google doesn't recognize it?