Recommended Speed?

dzhax

I was approached about a project that would be a site that streams live content to its users and also allows a Video On Demand like streaming (Pre-Recorded).The maximum resolution of the videos will be 1080i for the live stream and the same for the VOD.Any suggestions for ISPs/speeds I should be looking for?Currently have a 22Mbps/2Mbps connection from Comcast Cable, i will be upgrading to at least 22/5 soon because business class internet does not have a bandwidth limit.the fastest speeds they offer are 50/10 and 100/10.Now the site has not been made yet, as it is still in brainstorming stages. So I have no idea if streaming currently works well with what I have now.

2mbps upload speed is barely enough for 1 user to test on. 5mbps is enough to run a site for you and a couple friends, assuming you're not all using it at once. 10mbps may get you a few users at the same time. If you want more than that, you need to figure out the bandwidth requirements for a single video stream, and then multiply that by how many simultaneous users you want to support to get an idea about how much throughput you need. An uncompressed 1080i video stream requires about 20mbps, per user. I assume yours will be compressed. If you compress it 4x then that's 5mbps per user. Any big site streaming 1080i videos is going to be served from a large content delivery network like Limelight or Akamai. People don't host these sites from their home connections if they expect any decent level of traffic.http://www.limelightnetworks.com/video_comparison_tool/

First, they compress it. Second, they have investors to pay for things like bandwidth. Look at the page I linked to on the Limelight site, it may be that you can settle for 400kbps per stream if the quality is good enough. It's all a tradeoff between quality and filesize, so you'll need to find a balance that works for you. Also, a content provider like Limelight has a lot of bandwidth at their disposal, they stream things like the Superbowl broadcast. It may not be cheap to "rent" their bandwidth, but they can provide it.

Livestream has received $13 million in funding from private angel investors & Gannett Co. since founding in 2008.

Archived