html editor

CNT

I am seeking for a new HTML editor. I am not here asking for "what is the best editor" thing. I want to know what is the following called, so I can better search for a new editor.popup1.pngpopup2.pngI like those as it lists what I can put in there while I am typing. Saves spelling and errors. Just what are those called? I am using VS2008 and this are included. Now I am looking for lighter editor, hopefully install on thumbdrive. I tried Notepad++, it doesn't have those.Chuck

I think Visual Studio refers to that as "Smart Syntax" or something like that. It may also be refered to as autocomplete, but autocomplete may not necessarily give you a list of all possible properties/methods of objects like the "Smart Syntax" does. Autocomplete will likely only give you a list of options based on what you've already started typing.

As I search google... It seems VS2008 is the WINNER! Looks like I might just as well keep using it.This link is interesting.One quotes as "IntelliSense. IntelliSense is in my opinion the most important part of Visual Studio 2008 other than its compilers. IntelliSense uses fairly sophisticated algorithms to show you completions and suggestions. After a while, you come to rely on it and using Notepad is painful."This link shows that Notepad++ does have Auto-Completion, but it didn't do for me. Maybe it was something additional download or wrong versions of Notepad++?If someone knows a editor that does have those features (autocomplete, autosuggestion, Smart Syntax, IntelliSense, etc), post the name of it. Thanks.ChuckEDIT: I was able to enable the autocomplete in Notepad++. Upon playing with it a little, It's not as quite as VS... as you see the first image in the first post thread, it provides a right syntax. Very close though!

Where do you keep your HTML websites on the HDD? How do you label and place in directories?c:\websites\site1\................\site2\orC:\users\bob\My Documents\websites\site1or??I know it's big deal, I just want to see how people do it. I am planning to save and work on my websites from my thumbdrive, is that good idea? I am thinking about installing NPP on the thumbdrive too.Chuck

I have WAMP so I keep them in c:\wamp\www\It's your choice how you store and edit your websites, just make sure that they work properly when you're ready to upload them.

What do you use to upload website(s) to hosting site? I used VS for that, but what you use if you using NPP? CPanel? Meaning going into their hosting server, then bring up their CPanel? Do HTML editor have CPanel?Chuck

You usually use the FTP protocol, like you were probably doing in VS. cPanel is just an administration interface sometimes used by web hosts.

The most productive workflow is to have a code editor with built-in FTP client. If you don't have that, a separate FTP client can work. I'm very happy with Filezilla as a standalone FTP client. YMMV.

I use a Firefox extension, FireFTP.It's convenient, since I have the browser open all the time. I just need to open a new tab to upload files.

Filezilla is good. So, Filezilla and W3S Validation would seem to be two "outside" tools if a HTML Editor doesn't have those.Komodo IDE seems good, but too much money. Seems to have buildin web server.UltraEdit is nice... little awkward GUI. Has FTP file transfer.WeBuilder 2010 is nice, also little awkward GUI.MS Visual Web Developer... well, I got VS2008!MS WebMatrix... what is it? Let it go...bye.Does NPP have "Windows Explorer" section? I like the UltraEdit's "File View" (Project, Open, Explorer tabs).So far, seems since I am looking around and downloading varies trials (which I will need to clean format the HDD soon). Looks like VS has the best autocomplete and IntelliSense. I will keep looking and then see where I fall in for...Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

What is this?http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.p...a_script_editorHow to add Intellisense (called Auto-Completion in Notepad++) for UnityscriptIs this different from NPP's auto-completion? I am trying to see if this download zip will cause it to be like the first post of this thread... Microsoft's IntelliSense is available for NPP? Nonetheless, I download it and unzip it. Now what? It doesn't have README.TXT for instructions? The instruction from that link isn't clear to me.Chuck

Those instructions are just for how to get Notepad++ to auto-complete for Unityscript code. Notepad++ already has native auto-completion for many languages, as you discovered. Intellisense isn't some sort of program, it is just what Microsoft call auto-completion in VS.

Archived