Objects and elements

chrici

Hi all.I am learning javascript and therefore I create my own javascript experiments to learn it.In my latest experiment I want to append an element as the first child instead of the last.I managed to make it work but I also want to learn how to use objects aswell. This is the triggy part...I know this can be done with JQuery but I want to learn how to do it myself.Hope that you can help me :)This is the code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html>	<head>		<title>Javascript test</title>		<script type="text/javascript">			function element(element) {				this.elementType = element;				this.appendAbove = function(newelement,newtext) {										newtxt = document.createTextNode(newtext);					newel = document.createElement(newelement);					newel.appendChild(newtxt);										parent = this.parentNode;					childNodes = parent.childNodes;										for (i=0;i<childNodes.length;i++) {						window['clone'+i] = childNodes[i].cloneNode(true);						parent.removeChild(parent.childNodes[i]);					}										parent.appendChild(newel);										for (x=0;x<i;x++) {						parent.appendChild(window['clone'+x]);					}									};			}		</script>	</head>	<body>		<h1>Test site...</h1>		<section>			<p>This is just a sample text...</p>			<p>This is another sample text...</p>		</section>				<script type="text/javascript">			var str = new element(document.getElementsByTagName('p')[0]);			str.appendAbove('p','Yeah - it works!');		</script>			</body></html>

The easier technique is to use an element's firstChild property and insertBefore method, as in:

var el = document.getElementById('something');var first = el.firstChild;var newel = document.createElement(newelement);el.insertBefore(newel, first);

Obviously, you can get a reference to el using any technique you like.

Yes - much easier.But it is still not working.I changed the anonymous function to:

function(newelement,newtext) {	newtxt = document.createTextNode(newtext);	newel = document.createElement(newelement);	newel.appendChild(newtxt);	parent = this.parentNode;	first = parent.firstChild;	this.insertBefore(newel, first);};

The console in Chrome gives me the following message:Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'firstChild' of undefinedI guess that there is something wrong with the use of "this"?

When you wrote "I managed to make it work" I assumed I wouldn't have to look too closely at the problem. :)The this keyword always refers to the parent context. In your case, this refers to the element object, which is NOT an element. So this doesn't have a parentNode. The way you've structured the object, you can get a reference to the element's parentNode like this:this.elementType.parentNode(I have to say that elementType is a confusing identifier for a reference to the element itself.)

Archived