Do you use CSS3?

webdesigner25

People make websites that still work properly even if CSS3 isn't supported, or they use alternative methods.I use the border radius property on some of my sites, but I just let the boxed be rectangular for Internet Explorer. It doesn't make the browsing experience any worse for my users.

Mainly to add flare to a website. For example, I use the box-shadow property for a drag n drop window script. In IE, it just doesn't have a shadow, that's all. Same idea with Ingolme's use of border-radius. It adds a little flare for the users that have supporting browsers, and IE users just don't get that little extra flare.If your site relies on new features like animations and transitions, that might be an issue. Unless you used JavaScript to provide an alternative.

If your site relies on new features like animations and transitions, that might be an issue. Unless you used JavaScript to provide an alternative.
Thanks for the tip. :)I'm dunno...It's not supported in a lot of browsers...There are some things that are supported, but if CSS3 isn't fully supported, well...I might just use JS for it instead.

I'm using quite a bit of CSS3. IMO, it is a great thing to enhance your website with CSS3. There are some very cool features that I just love (and are being supported quite well). If websites make good use of CSS3, computer users will really see how worth-it it was when they upgrade to a new browser (from IE 8 or below). However, just because it is new doesn't make it necessarily better. I've seen websites abuse CSS3. But most CSS3 uses these days are creative and attractive. Here are comparison screenshots of my website on a CSS3 browser (Opera) and a non-CSS3 browser (IE 7):http://www.cyberstream.us/uploads/split-view.jpgTake note of the rounded corners and CSS3 RGBa background colors.

Be patient. Almost every browser update will add more support for CSS3, and people will migrate more and more to IE9, so eventually your site will look correct for everyone.The trick is to put yourself in a frame of mind where you don't consider every design feature necessary for the success of your site. If a site looks almost as good without a new feature, just go with it. The advantage to this attitude is that you're not bogging down your site with a lot of JavaScript that will become more and more unnecessary.

Archived