Processing of text() and node()

webbenny

Hello there!I've the following XML structure here:

<list>	<item>Enter your name at field <emphasis>name</emphasis>.</item>	<item>Enter your <emphasis>Passwort</emphasis>.</item>	<item>Confirm with <emphasis>OK</emphasis>.<para>The system checks the password.</para>		<para>Follow the instructions.</para>	</item></list>

After the tranformation the result should be:

<itemizedlist>	<listitem><para>Enter your name at field <em>name</em>.</para></listitem>	<listitem><para>Enter your <em>Passwort</em>.</para></listitem>	<listitem><para>Confirm with <em>OK</em>.</para><para>The system checks the password.</para>		<para>Follow the instructions.</para>	</listitem></itemizedlist>

My current stylesheet is:

<xsl:template match="emphasis">		<xsl:element name="em">			<xsl:apply-templates/>		</xsl:element>	</xsl:template>	<xsl:template match="list">		<xsl:element name="itemizedlist">			<xsl:apply-templates/>		</xsl:element>	</xsl:template>	<xsl:template match="item">		<xsl:element name="listitem">			<xsl:choose>				<xsl:when test="./para and ./text()">					<xsl:if test="parent::item"></xsl:if>					<xsl:if test="./text()">						<xsl:element name="para">							<xsl:value-of select="./text()"/>						</xsl:element>					</xsl:if>				</xsl:when>				<xsl:when test="item[child::node() != 'para']">					<xsl:apply-templates/>				</xsl:when>				<xsl:otherwise>					<xsl:element name="para">						<xsl:apply-templates/>					</xsl:element>				</xsl:otherwise>			</xsl:choose>		</xsl:element>	</xsl:template>

The requirements are:* Each listitem content MUST be in a para!* The element in item an para MUST be processed by the stylesheetWith that stylesheet I always run in trouble, if the item element has text AND child elements.Has anybody some ideas for that case? Thank you very much..Regards, webbenny

Here is an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  version="2.0">    <xsl:template match="@* | node()">	<xsl:copy>	  <xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()"/>	</xsl:copy>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="emphasis">	<em>	  <xsl:apply-templates/>	</em>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="list">	<itemizedlist>	  <xsl:apply-templates/>	</itemizedlist>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="item">	<listitem>	  <xsl:for-each-group select="node()" group-adjacent="boolean(self::para)">		<xsl:choose>		  <xsl:when test="current-grouping-key()">			<xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()"/>		  </xsl:when>		  <xsl:otherwise>			<para>			  <xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()"/>			</para>		  </xsl:otherwise>		</xsl:choose>	  </xsl:for-each-group>	</listitem>  </xsl:template>  </xsl:stylesheet>

When I use Saxon 9.3 on the input

<list><item>Enter your name at field <emphasis>name</emphasis>.</item><item>Enter your <emphasis>Passwort</emphasis>.</item><item>Confirm with <emphasis>OK</emphasis>.<para>The system checks the password.</para><para>Follow the instructions.</para></item></list>

I get the following result

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><itemizedlist><listitem><para>Enter your name at field <em>name</em>.</para></listitem><listitem><para>Enter your <em>Passwort</em>.</para></listitem><listitem><para>Confirm with <em>OK</em>.</para><para>The system checks the password.</para><para></para><para>Follow the instructions.</para><para></para></listitem></itemizedlist>

I think this does what you want, with the exception of also wrapping pure white space content into "para" elements. I am not sure whether you want that, you said "Each listitem content MUST be in a para!" but your requested output sample does not do that for white space text nodes between para elements.

Here is an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet:
<xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  version="2.0">    <xsl:template match="@* | node()">	<xsl:copy>	  <xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()"/>	</xsl:copy>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="emphasis">	<em>	  <xsl:apply-templates/>	</em>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="list">	<itemizedlist>	  <xsl:apply-templates/>	</itemizedlist>  </xsl:template>    <xsl:template match="item">	<listitem>	  <xsl:for-each-group select="node()" group-adjacent="boolean(self::para)">		<xsl:choose>		  <xsl:when test="current-grouping-key()">			<xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()"/>		  </xsl:when>		  <xsl:otherwise>			<para>			  <xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()"/>			</para>		  </xsl:otherwise>		</xsl:choose>	  </xsl:for-each-group>	</listitem>  </xsl:template>  </xsl:stylesheet>

When I use Saxon 9.3 on the input

<list><item>Enter your name at field <emphasis>name</emphasis>.</item><item>Enter your <emphasis>Passwort</emphasis>.</item><item>Confirm with <emphasis>OK</emphasis>.<para>The system checks the password.</para><para>Follow the instructions.</para></item></list>

I get the following result

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><itemizedlist><listitem><para>Enter your name at field <em>name</em>.</para></listitem><listitem><para>Enter your <em>Passwort</em>.</para></listitem><listitem><para>Confirm with <em>OK</em>.</para><para>The system checks the password.</para><para></para><para>Follow the instructions.</para><para></para></listitem></itemizedlist>

I think this does what you want, with the exception of also wrapping pure white space content into "para" elements. I am not sure whether you want that, you said "Each listitem content MUST be in a para!" but your requested output sample does not do that for white space text nodes between para elements.

Wow! It works great! I don't even know the "for-each-group" functionality in xsl... ;-) But one more reason to learn all that..The wrapping of white space content into para elements is also required, so it fits perfect for my case.Thank you so much!

Archived