Frustrated over web design

jimfog

I recently finished my first website-it took many weeks to build it as i was testing various layout/color/font combinations in order to be(at least) acceptable from a design point of view.I know that the site is light years behind from others found out there, but i did not imagine it was so bad that someone would tell me(in another forum)that it does not worth not even a penny.Comparing with very high standards maybe that is the case-but only in such a case.After many workhours(and reading) i have nothing.Tell me your opinion about it-Visit My WebsiteBesides your opinion i would really like to know what are the major drawbacks, what need corrections, i know there is a lot room for improvementbut be specific please so i can know what i must do.

• 5 months later...

Hello there. I am Greek so i am actually going to talk about your content too. First of all i wouldn't say i like the colour combination in the website (though you mention this is your first website and it requires a lot of practice to get the hand of it). What is more i don't really like the way things are aligned in the website. To be more specific the header and the footer(the frames with the blue stars) would look better if they were center aligned. I also think that some things don't really match like the blue bird on the left of the page. I don't see the purpose of it, and another effect in the picture frame (while changing photos) would look better in my opinion (something like fading and not scrolling). About the content now, in the homepage you mention that you are going to explain the purpose of the website, which you don't. It is not perfectly clear why this website exists and that is not good for visitors. You should make clear what the website is about in your home page so visitors can know why they are there. Last but not least what is the search field for? Most things are my opinion and may not represent others but that's what you asked for :)

The site is a mess, for many reasons-regarding the homepage, i did not proceed explaining the purpose of the site cause i am going to download it from the internet, in other words i have abandoned the whole concept. This a second much better effort: http://www.hellenicastrology.gr/ I consider this site my first serious effort in web design.

The one thing, that catches my eye about that site is the menu jumping left to right on hover of the links and border showing. Can't you use transparent border or margin the same as width border on normal link, if you use margin, just remember to reduce it on hover, and reinstate on the mouse leaving the link.

• 3 weeks later...
The site is a mess, for many reasons-regarding the homepage, i did not proceed explaining the purpose of the site cause i am going to download it from the internet, in other words i have abandoned the whole concept. This a second much better effort: http://www.hellenicastrology.gr/ I consider this site my first serious effort in web design.
Looks very good!! but I cant read Greek so im only judging by appearance/design.The only two minor issues I see is that the navigation {on top} bar width is longer than the site white background so it should have the same width as the header.The other issue is that you forgot to put your copyright but I guess that you plan on doing it later.I'm a beginner too :).

that catches my eye about that site is the menu jumping left to right on hover of the links and border showing.
You are right about that-i want to fix it so there is no movement upon hovering.
Can't you use transparent border
I want to retain the looks of the border
or margin the same as width border on normal link, if you use margin, just remember to reduce it on hover, and reinstate on the mouse leaving the link.
Do you think the bove will fix the movement issue?

I don't see how using a transparent border for the normal state of the buttons will affect the look of the border, as you won't see it! all you are doing is changing from transparent to #843D40, when the button becomes 'active' or is hovered over. The second option of using margins (left and right only) is feasible, all you do is apply left/right margins the same width of border on the normal state, then remove these margins on active OR hover state, when the border is applied.

Great site Jimfog! Seriously, if this is your second attempt you should be pretty damn proud. Keep up the good work. From a designers perspective you use repetition in your graphics. That's a good thing. It keeps the look consistent. The content, which I can't read, seems to go along with the Flash (JavaScript?) interactive widget on the left. That's awesome because a viewer will read and then actually use the Flash. I did at least. The navigation is something that's easily worked out. I think it might be accomplished by adding a negative value to either the padding or margin values of the "a:hover" CSS. On second though, I'd loose the border idea all together and go with a background swap out. I use that in my navigation. I'm too lazy to explain it so here's my code:

nav ul li a {float:left;display:block;position:relative;width:100px;font-size:14px;line-height:44px;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;color:#CC99FF;}nav ul li a:hover {background-color: #97268F;float:left;display:block;position:relative;width:100px;font-size:14px;line-height:44px;text-align:center;color:#fff;text-decoration:none;}

Design of a layout can be frustrating. You get to share that with everyone in this forum. But from where you are, you shouldn't be too upset. -Grahamalluringmedia.net

• 2 weeks later...
The one thing, that catches my eye about that site is the menu jumping left to right on hover of the links and border showing. Can't you use transparent border or margin the same as width border on normal link, if you use margin, just remember to reduce it on hover, and reinstate on the mouse leaving the link.
I was able to fix the problem in the menu, the movement of the menu items on hover. I used transparent borders to do it-as you suggested.Thanks.I always wondered what the transparent color for the border is used for? And another thing. A very small problem. The menu items on FFox appear shifted to the left by a tiny amount. I may leave it this way, but just in case, do you know any solution to this issue?

I noticed a mispel on your down right "προλογίζοντας το εαυτό μου" it says "ευατο" :Ρ i really like it ! and if i could suggest something ! you have the border around the select topic "on" and another pops up if you mouse-over it and thats great but i was thinking that it would be nicer (on my humble opinion) if the selected topic border would dissapear when you mouse-over the other topics...apart from that i really like eeeverything ! in a few months you could be working with flash and other cool looking gizmos ! nice one man !

Ok, it does not matter anyway-it is not important. Thanks.

Archived