Posts don't organize nicely :(

lukeslog

I've been searching for an answer for ages with no luck.My custom Tumblr theme. Is ALMOST perfect... But I've been going crazy with one error.In the content, where it holds my posts, there's a ton of space/gaps between some posts and it sucks.Might have something to do with the date. If there's anyway to fix this, to organize the posts as evenly and space efficient as possible, that'd be incredible.I wouldn't care if the posts are slightly out of chronological order.This is what the problem looks like.Heres some example source codeHere's the .css files usedI'm pretty sure the answer lies in editing the diaphanous.css file. I don't think anything else needs editing, but I could be wrong.If anyone could help; I'd be eternally grateful.

If you can post a link I can probably find the problem very quickly with chrome's developer tools. I don't really feel like getting a tumblr account to test this. Not to sound rude or anything :\

There's no real way to fix your problem unless you can modify the HTML.One solution is to give each second post a class of "odd" and the other ones "even"

<div class="post photo odd"></div><div class="post photo even"></div><div class="post photo odd"></div><div class="post photo even"></div><div class="post photo odd"></div><div class="post photo even"></div>

Then just float the odd ones to the left and the even ones to the right. I'm not entirely sure if it would work, but I'm pretty sure it should.

.odd { float: left; }.even { float: right; }

Another solution is to have two columns:

<div class="column1">	<div class="post photo"></div>	<div class="post photo"></div></div><div class="column2">	<div class="post photo"></div>	<div class="post photo"></div></div>

.column1 { float: left; }.column2 { float: right; }

The code I gave you isn't to copy and paste, you're supposed to use the structure in your code.There's one problem which I already was thinking of: Your posts are automatically generated so there probably isn't a way to divide them into two sections or tell if they're even or odd.

They're using absolute positioning, that's really complicated to work with. They're using Javascript to calculate the height, width and position of each box. If you disable Javascript you'll see all their posts in a single column.

Where can I get help with javascript then?And if possible, do you know which script of his is doing that?I have a lot of various skills in Photoshop, Flash, digital art, comics, animation, comedy writing.If someone were to help me with my problem, I'd be more than happy to offer my services.

Why don't you check out the documentation of the library?If you know CSS selectors you should know how to work with this library. You just set the selectors to the elements you're going to use.http://masonry.desandro.com/demos/basic-single-column.htmlhttp://masonry.desandro.com/demos/basic-multi-column.htmlhttp://masonry.desandro.com/demos/tumblelog.html

It depends on what elements are on your page. "#container" would refer to the element with id="container" and ".post" would refer to all elements with "post" in their class attribute. You can change the column width by changing the columnWidth property.This code should work, but I'm not absolutely certain, since I haven't been able to see your page directly.

$('#container').masonry({  itemSelector: '.post',  columnWidth: 240});

I tried that code, alone with replacing container with content, because I believe that's what I want to be affected by masonry; My container holds everything on the page.Is there any way for you to view my site/code you need? Can I send you files?

Seriously, I'd let you log in and risk having it stolen, I'm desperate.I am actually beginning to understand things a little though... What's so difficult is that the custom HTML you have to enter for tumblr doesn't work on anything like dreamweaver, they've got their own thing going. What's worse is that this makes testing change to the styling sheet very tedious and slow, and that's where I'm stuck I think.....Here's the Tumblr HTML I'd have to enter. I don't know why I didn't include this before...http://pastebin.com/EZZeU66c

Archived