Music Player

chasethemetal

HelloI've searching the internet for some insight on how to make a secure music player w/ playlist. Basically I am curious how bandcamp.com or soundcloud.com(mobile version) works.I'd like to build my own music player NOT flash based so it works on on iPhones and iPads...I haven't been able to find any guides on how to do this where 1 the file locations aren't exposed and 2 include a play list feature.I am an expert with HTML and CSS and have quickly growing abilities in PHP. Is this a job for java? I'm clueless if anyone could point me in a direction or show me an example that would be great! Thanks so much.

Are you sure iPhone doesn't have Flash installed? The only other option is if they used the HTML5 <audio> element but I don't think there's much support for that. Flash is far better supported than the audio element.The Flash player is probably invisible and they page is using HTML elements and Javascript to send commands to the hidden Flash file.

The bandcamp site is probably detecting the platform that it's on. That page has at least one Flash movie on it. If you choose to embed a player, it gives you a link to a Flash movie through an iframe. On systems that support HTML5 it might use that instead though. Youtube also has an HTML5 section. The controls on the bandcamp site are implemented with Javascript, those aren't Flash.

I disabled flash and bandcamps music player still works. So they must be doing some funky java in the background perhaps.GuyBri89 when you say use the <object> tags how would that work? I understand how to use PHP to pull my mp3's from a secure location. But I have never used the object tags unless associated with flash. Any light on what you mean would be cool.

I disabled flash and bandcamps music player still works. So they must be doing some funky java in the background perhaps.GuyBri89 when you say use the <object> tags how would that work? I understand how to use PHP to pull my mp3's from a secure location. But I have never used the object tags unless associated with flash. Any light on what you mean would be cool.
Actually using the object tags might not work. Do you have more than one flash player installed too? IE RealPlayer, Apple's quicktime, etc. Or are you using the one from Adobe? Personally I would make your sites music player using either PHP and HTML with JS/Ajax functions or with Java and PHP. That way it would be a universal music player, and would work on any operating system or most web browsers.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Java + PHP combo. Unfortunately I am not the best with Java. Anyone know of any reference points to start with when it comes to building a basic java function like say.When this img is clicked. load this src file (.mp3)? What would that look like?

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Java + PHP combo. Unfortunately I am not the best with Java. Anyone know of any reference points to start with when it comes to building a basic java function like say.When this img is clicked. load this src file (.mp3)? What would that look like?
For now I would just use HTML to make a basic player. As far as Java goes, you can check out NetBeans IDE and check out Sun's official tutorials.NetBeans IDE 7.0And as far as tutorials go, I found this: Java Beginner.comGoodluck dude, Java is what I want to eventually program in.

I disabled flash and bandcamps music player still works. So they must be doing some funky java in the background perhaps.
That's interesting, when I disable Flash I get a popup saying that Flash is required to listen to music on that site.

Archived