Link to specific choice in drop down form?

mcurry

Hi all,I run a website for an organisation that is an umbrella group for 150ish organisations.I have included contact details for each organisation on the member directory on our website, but I have not included email addresses to date. The reason for this is the age-old worry about spam. I wouldn't want our members to get junk mail because of me...So to this end I want to include a 'contact us' form. I'm quite happy to create this and include each member as a choice in the drop down list.BUT because there's 150ish members that makes a looooong drop down list. What I would like to do is have a listing like this:Member nameaddressemail usThe "email us" link would take you to the contact us form - *with the member auto-selected from the drop down list*. I don't know how to do this... do you?Any help welcome.Cheers,Mike

you could make email us a link to your contact page, and pass it an argument via GET, i.e.

www.youtsite.com/contact.php?member=memberName

where memberName is literally the name of that member.part of the beginning of the contact.php would be to have a list of all your memberNames, and you write a loop to output the drop down list, and for iteration, you could check if the passed memberName matches the current memberName being iterated, and if it, add

selected="selected"

to that particular option tag.i.e.

<?php//assuming you have an array of members already$dropdown = '';$memberName = $_GET['memberName'];for($i = 0, $l = count($members); $i < l; $i++){  $name = $members[$i];  $dropdown .= "<option value'" . $name . "'";  if($name == $memberName){	$dropdown .= "selected='selected'";  };  $dropdown .= "'>" . $name . "</option>\n";};

and then you can echo/print that right out anywhere on the page in between some <select> tags.

Archived