Web application

vchris

Me and my buddy want to take on a new web application project. We've been thinking of an invoicing system but there's already a lot of those already available. Is there any web application that you wish existed or existed but differently?

Make a website where everyone can edit that page directly. So if I go to your front page it would be blank and i could click a button in the top right corner that says "edit this page" and I could edit all of the html/php right there.Actually, you should probably limit this to "editable" pages. So a user can generate a blank page and start editing it and share the link with other people. Then other people can make editions and changes to the page- better or worse.Allow the creator of the page to decide if it's restricted to only a few people and have automatic backups of pages.Release it to the public and see what kind of crazy things people come up with. Maybe an industrious group will make a canvas MMO.

Well you would obviously need some security measures but all in all I think it's an interesting idea. And you will get hacked ocassionally but that's just a part of the game and you'l learn a lot about hacking prevention.

Well, I think wiki-like systems are great, but letting people edit server-side code would never be completely secure. At most you could have a limited pseudo-server side language that is interpreted into real commands dynamically (a bit like the way SSI is implemented), but the functionality would be limited.Also, getting hacked can have serious consequences - for example, I could write a script that makes your server do illegal things (e.g. download illicit images), or just make you run huge bandwidth bills.Edit: to the OP, there's nothing wrong with writing something that isn't completely new and innovative - even if you make yet another invoicing site or something, you'll still learn loads along the way. And you will be able to write the system just the way you like :).

How about an application that allows you to post to multiple popular blogs at the same time? It will be a nightmare for performance but think of how creative you could get with the JavaScripting. Of course I'm pretty sure that similar already exists.

How about an application that allows you to post to multiple popular blogs at the same time? It will be a nightmare for performance but think of how creative you could get with the JavaScripting. Of course I'm pretty sure that similar already exists.
Sounds like the Opera addon, ScribeFire.

Archived