Variable Script Question

shreyaskudav

<script type="text/javascript">var firstname;firstname="Hege";document.write(firstname);document.write("<br />");firstname="Tove";document.write(firstname);</script>
What does the RED script do?And there is no " " inside the brackets..?

What does the RED script do?And there is no " " inside the brackets..?
it's referring to the variable of that name.it will write firstname - which contains "Hege", and hence document will write "Hege"i believe the correct jargon is, it's being referenced ?:)

document.write() prints to the page, that's all. If it's called after the page has finished loading then the page will be cleared so it can start writing.You only need quotation marks when you're using a literal string. If you want to print the value of a variable you use the variable's name.

In javascript, the keyword "var," helps to store data, so dat it can be use latter in the document.Var firstname= "Hege";this variable that have a name "firstname" holds the value "Hege"document.write(firstname); this is telling the "document" to use the method "write" to write the value of the word the variable (firstname) holds in the html doc.THE REASON THERE ARE NO QUOTATION MARKS ( " ), ITS BECAUSE WE WANT THE DOCUMENT TO WRITE WHAT IS INSIDE THE VARIABLE AND NOT TO WRITE JUST PLAIN TEXT.i started reading js 3days back and GOD has been GOOD to me!

In javascript, the keyword "var," helps to store data, so dat it can be use latter in the document.Var firstname= "name";holds the value "name"document.write(name); this is telling the document, to use the method "write" to write down the value of the word the variable holds.
that's not entirely correct. aside from wether or not you have to use var or whether one should be using document.write, to print out the value of firstname i.e. "name", would actually be done like this:
var firstname= "name";document.write(firstname);

......i started reading js 3days back and GOD has been GOOD to me!
Amen to that !! :) And the admins here are Angels !!

Archived