framework questions

jimfog

What exactly is the meaning and importance of a framework in PHP development?Why one should choose framework x instead of y.Are there frameworks for different developing needs/tasks?How a developer realizes-when developing-that he is using the one or the other framework?I mean, are frameworks something like libraries where for example the x framework has one set of functions(?) and the y library a different set.Are frameworks something like IDEs (for example) netbeans?

Interestingly, PHP, although usually considered a language, is really a framework-and-language all-in-one. Most languages used on the web are computer programming languages adapted to web use with a framework (e.g. Ruby with the Rails web framework). PHP frameworks, however, have a different purpose since PHP is already a web-based language. PHP frameworks are for rapid development and compatibility (such as dealing with MIME types with the mail() function). Frameworks are basically PHP classes that simplify development. Although good IDEs like Netbeans do speed up development, they are not frameworks. IDEs such as NB do integrate some PHP frameworks, though. There are some good demonstrative screencasts on PHP framework websites like here: http://www.codeigniter.com/ I'm sure others will have good input on the strong points of specific frameworks. There are several object and logic patterns implemented in frameworks that are becoming increasingly important in the web development field these days. You can read more here:Model-View-Controller architectureCRUD application objects and the database interactionActive Record

Frameworks are basically PHP classes that simplify development.
Thanks for the input, the above quote gives me insight on what actually frameworks are.Nonetheless, given the fact there are various php frameworks out there, why someone should choose one framework instead of the other?

Archived