JS Loop

shreyaskudav

<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var i=0;for (i=0;i<=5;i++){document.write("The number is " + i);document.write("<br />");}</script></body></html>

This script loops from 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 etc...etc...etc...But what if i want to increment it, 2 or more times...Like: 2,4,6,8,10or 5,10,15,20 ??

Edited by shreyaskudav

there are a couple options. one way is to do something like this:

<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var i = 1, end = 100, modulus = 5;for (i; i <= end; i++){  if(i%modulus == 0){	console.log('The number is ' + i); 	//would log 5, 10, 15, 20, etc all the way to 100};</script></body></html>

if you wanted to do the same thing for even numbers, you would only have to change the modulus variable to 2.edit:http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_operators.asp

Edited by thescientist

Yet another way is to print a multiple of i. That's the good thing about programming, there are many ways to do things:

for (i = 1; i <= 5; i++){	document.write('The number is ' + (i * 2) );	document.write("<br />");}

... That's the good thing about programming, there are many ways to do things:
may i join in too ! :) (i ilke JSG's way best, most efficient for stated purpose)here's my inefficient way.
<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var var j=1; var skip=4;for (i=0;i<=(60/skip);i++){j+=skip;document.write("The number is " + j);document.write("<br />");}</script></body></html>

ahh... i changed it to j=0 and now realise why it's good to start from zero ! :)

hey, thanks, its quiet easy and very nice to sfind so many ways out...:)But......

<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var f=1;for (f=1;f<9;f++);{document.write("Number" + f);document.write("<br />");}</script></body></html>

Whats the problem in this???And one thing more...

(i = 1; i <= 5; i++)

/

(i=1;i<=5;i++)

Which one is correct?

Edited by shreyaskudav

may i join in too ! :) (i ilke JSG's way best, most efficient for stated purpose)here's my inefficient way.
<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var var j=1; var skip=4;for (i=0;i<=(60/skip);i++){j+=skip;document.write("The number is " + j);document.write("<br />");}</script></body></html>

ahh... i changed it to j=0 and now realise why it's good to start from zero ! :)

well, you certainly got the ineffecient part right. certainly made me scratch my head a couple of times... xD(although I would watch for script trace errors when doing this: var var j = 1)
hey, thanks, its quiet easy and very nice to sfind so many ways out...:PBut......
<html><body><script type="text/javascript">var f=1;for (f=1;f<9;f++);{document.write("Number" + f);document.write("<br />");}</script></body></html>

Whats the problem in this???And one thing more...

(i = 1; i <= 5; i++)

/

(i=1;i<=5;i++)

Which one is correct?

1) you shouldn't have a semicolon here:
for (f=1;f<9;f++);

2) neither is more correct. one (IMO) is just easier to read.

Edited by thescientist

well, you certainly got the ineffecient part right. certainly made me scratch my head a couple of times... :)
would that indicate that i can handle more complex control structures ? :) << runs & hides >>
(although I would watch for script trace errors when doing this: var var j = 1)
whoops, i had var i=0 as well, but only half deleted it before posting.

would that indicate that i can handle more complex control structures ? :) << runs & hides >>
errrr..... Edited by thescientist

errrr.....
truth be told, i scratched my head several times in *creating* it as it didn't have the desired effect when first made ! :)(talk about complicating things !!)