adding hover animations over image divs

dubesinhower

i want to add some hover animations to my site. i have some images set as backgrounds to divs that are links to web pages. i would like to be able to hover over a link, and a description of the link slides out (preferably within the div). then, when you stop hovering, it slides away.it doesn't necessarily even have to animate. if i can have descriptions pop up when i hover, i'll be happy lol.to get a better idea, here's where i'm at so far.pretty cool linksthanks in advanced for any tips!edit: this is where i got my original inspiration: unaghii

For the non-animated version, Google tooltip. Get a good script and adapt it to your needs.Animation has a steep learning curve if you want to do it from scratch. jQuery has some good stuff for this, and a lot of people are learning jQuery anyway. Could be a long-term growth kind of thing.

Oh, yeah. Looked at your page. That background image is freaking HUGE. It takes forever to download and then slows down my whole browser. Verizon users will curse you. :) It's especially wasteful since most of it gets covered. You should be able to tile a much smaller image and almost duplicate the effect in about 1% the number of bytes. That number is actually on the high side. Seriously.

ugh. should i work on creating the description divs first? i'm just kinda stuck on how to build this. i need to create more divs and make them invisible until you mouseover, right?edit: i'm stuck. i'm creating a div to hide over the image links, but the width is too long D= Pretty Cool Linksedit edit: fixed the above issue with the width, but still not sure where to go from here.

Archived