Book about PHP

Bogey

Hi all,I have a book (some years old) which I bought long time ago...Now I am again into programming, but can I still use that book, or is it to much old school? :)Its a book about PHP, published in May 1999.It is called PHP Dynamische websites professioneel ondersteunenPHP Dynamic websites professional support (translation)ISBN 90-430-140-6These names are on the cover: Egon Schmid, Christian Cartus and Richard Blume

If you're looking for an overview, it's probably not bad. As soon as you know the basics, start referring to the online manual. It is always the most current reference. As you study it, you'll want to notice the kinds of things that have been added, removed, or deprecated since 1999.

Hi all,I have a book (some years old) which I bought long time ago...Now I am again into programming, but can I still use that book, or is it to much old school? :)Its a book about PHP, published in May 1999.It is called PHP Dynamische websites professioneel ondersteunenPHP Dynamic websites professional support (translation)ISBN 90-430-140-6These names are on the cover: Egon Schmid, Christian Cartus and Richard Blume
If you're looking for an overview, it's probably not bad. As soon as you know the basics, start referring to the online manual. It is always the most current reference. As you study it, you'll want to notice the kinds of things that have been added, removed, or deprecated since 1999.
the best "book" is The Manual at php.net - but any other book can't be bad if you're away from a computer/or internet connection and need to refresh yourself on the basics.plus, if it's not too heavy you can use it to swat the flies as you sit reading it on the toilet.... :)

I put my book on the toilet! heheheheI think it's not a very bad book... its about 500pages, with lots of info...In my opinion, php is a language, and php nowadays is the same as php 10years ago....php nowadays has been updated, added, removed... but the basic is the same?I guess its not a totally different language? :)I go check manual on php.net also, and keep my book here, just for back up :)thnx all...

In my opinion, php is a language, and php nowadays is the same as php 10years ago....php nowadays has been updated, added, removed... but the basic is the same?
Not really. 1999 sounds like the book is about PHP 3. The PHP engine was completely rewritten for PHP 4, and PHP 5 also added and changed many things. PHP 6 has been in development for several years. It would be better to learn from a book that covers PHP 5, so that you can start with the current good practices instead of starting with old bad practices and then needing to learn the new ways to do everything.

Not really. 1999 sounds like the book is about PHP 3. The PHP engine was completely rewritten for PHP 4, and PHP 5 also added and changed many things. PHP 6 has been in development for several years. It would be better to learn from a book that covers PHP 5, so that you can start with the current good practices instead of starting with old bad practices and then needing to learn the new ways to do everything.
yes, good point - i wouldn't call them "bad" though, just outdated and inefficient relative to what the new language makes available.

Archived