change password text field masking type

beennn

I cannot see a reason for doing it, either. I'm curious to know why?
As OP said, aesthetics. There is no practical reason to turn text a different color, or to specify a fancy border, or make rounded corners on a button, but it's appealing to the eye and makes a page look better. The same would apply here. Perhaps a different mask would fit in better with the theme of the page or, like OP is trying to do, match another application.Maybe a future version of CSS will implement this...

Elements that are derived from OS controls (e.g., most form inputs) usually don't have a lot of presentational options.EDIT. I admit that this one does seem easily managed. A lot easier than tweaking the exact shape and color of a button, in all OSs, for example. But I don't design the browser . . .

Edited by Deirdre's Dad

I suppose you could just use javascript to obfuscate a normal input field by using 'custom' characters...

Edited by thescientist

Elements that are derived from OS controls (e.g., most form inputs) usually don't have a lot of presentational options.
Yeah, I know. It's unfortunate. I wish there were more freedom with form inputs.... :)

I thought of hacking a normal input. You could capture every keystroke and store it in a property, then display the character you like. But there are so many different events that can happen (like a paste), and handling what happens when the user repositions the cursor -- a lot of work for a simple aesthetic change.

Edited by Deirdre's Dad