Transferring a domain name

Fmdpa

I am preparing to redesign a website for an organization. The member of that organization that originally set up the website has moved away and the site is just stagnantly sitting there. How can I get a hold of the domain? I'm guessing I need to get in touch with the guy that setup the website. If so, what info do I need to get from him?

Hello,You don't necessarily need to reach out to the person that set it up, you need to make sure you have contact with the person whom's admin email is on the domain. To find that, you can go to a whois search tool such as iptools.com or whois.sc and do a search for your domain. This will also show you where the domain is registered. If you can not get access to the admin email, you will need to contact the company where the domain is registered at to see if there is a way to get the domain back. It sounds like you just need the domain ownership transferred, and not the domain name itself literally transferred to a new registrar. You can contact the registrar to find their policies on how to transfer ownership, generally you will need either the password or the credit card number to "prove" that you have permission to take over the domain. Kevin

Thanks for the info Kevin. You're right - I don't need to transfer the domain to a new registrar. I just need to gain ownership of it. I'll look into contacting the registrar.

Archived