what topics not to study in js

zedjr

Am new to javascript and the book i am studying now is 7 years old. There are certain topics i guess that owuld be a waste to study adn learn. LIke grames it seems is a waste. ill write some down which i think are a waste.1. working with style sheets- a waste cause css does all this2.using windows and frames- seems like a wastejsut 2 it seems to me so far that would be a waste to learn. If any others please let me knowthanks

1. working with style sheets- a waste cause css does all this
Style sheets and CSS are the same thing. If this is a Javascript book, then that topic will teach you how to change an element's classes and styles, or how to modify stylesheet information, using Javascript.
2.using windows and frames- seems like a waste
Frames aren't in wide use any more, but everything still happens in a window.

3. navigation trees using javascript - seems like a waste as css adn html do all that and unobtrusiveness sais u wouldnt use js for nav trees right?

If you just want a static, unchanging menu, then yeah, you don't need Javascript. Of course, most of the time teachers are trying to teach specific concepts, they use a general example to do so. The book may use navigation as an example, but maybe it's really trying to teach the concepts of working with trees in general, or nested arrays, or animation, or whatever else. It's up to you whether you want to go through those lessons or not.

Unless the book was using out-dated techniques, it probably contains very little that is wasted. HTML 4.01 was already in use seven years ago, so a lot of the "bad-old" stuff really shouldn't be in the book. If you see a single reference to document.all or document.layers, throw the book away.You have identified the main exception, which is frames. Another might be the combination of dot notation and name attributes as a way of getting references to things like form elements and images. I wouldn't bother with that stuff.Navigation trees are an application of JavaScript. As JSG said, the kinds of properties and methods that make a navigation tree work can be applied to many situations.Note that a lot of things might be missing from your book. A lot of DOM properties and methods were not available in all browsers, and for that reason they were not as widely used then as now. Your book might have skipped them or treated them superficially. (I'm thinking of methods like element.appendChild, for instance.) Another set of techniques widely used today is AJAX. AJAX was available seven years ago, but most developers had not really caught on yet, and I think very few books covered it in detail.All I'm saying there is that your book may have some important gaps you'll want to fill from other sources.

Archived