WAMP installation & PHP running

tinfanide

Please take a look at the vid above and see which step I was missing in order to run PHP well on the server level (? not sure about this), very different from using JS.

You've installed it properly. What you're experiencing with the drag&drop is to be expected.If you look closely at the browser address bar as it looks from Dreamwaver and with a drag&drop, you'll notice it's a very different address, despite it being the same file.PHP is a server side scripting language. This in turn means that it requires a web server to run - the reason you installed WAMP to begin with, and not just PHP. When you type "localhost" in your browser, you reach the root of the web server on your computer - the same one that has PHP installed. If you type in a file path("C:/path/to/file.php"), you don't go through the web server, so PHP is never executed.

You've installed it properly. What you're experiencing with the drag&drop is to be expected.If you look closely at the browser address bar as it looks from Dreamwaver and with a drag&drop, you'll notice it's a very different address, despite it being the same file.PHP is a server side scripting language. This in turn means that it requires a web server to run - the reason you installed WAMP to begin with, and not just PHP. When you type "localhost" in your browser, you reach the root of the web server on your computer - the same one that has PHP installed. If you type in a file path("C:/path/to/file.php"), you don't go through the web server, so PHP is never executed.
Yes, I saw the difference at last.So is localhost my domain name? Is the php page hosted online already where others can get access to it online anywhere?

No. "localhost" is a special name that always refers to your computer. Another person typing "localhost" would see their own computer. To see your content, they need to know your computer's IP address. Things get more difficult if you're behind a home router/firewall*, as you need to configure it to forward requests from your public IP to your local one.*

Abusing my moderator powers, having seen and tried your IP, I can also tell that you are indeed behind a router or firewall that's not configured properly yet. That, or the computer you're writing from is not the same one with the video.

Archived