issue w/ borders and with text

gatormancl

So i have this problem where my active page link has a blue top border. It looks fine but ther is an issue i can't get my finger on where the text would align itself to the left and the border extends beyond the width of the text. Ive tried setting text align to center, a transparent border left, and tried stying the li to inline-block with no luck. Some help would be appreciated.here is the illustration in two dif browsers. i'd like to have the border centered over the text instead of like this:IECapture.JPGthis browser renders it better but you can still see the border hangs over the right side some.WebkitCapture2.JPG

<span style="display:inline-block; border-top:2px solid blue; padding:0px 10px">OVERLINED TEXT</span>

thats about what i have for the list item. heres my code. <nav> <ul> <li><a href="home.html">HOME</a></li> <li><a href="trailers.html" rel="tag">TRAILERS</a></li> <li class="active"><a href="gallery.html">GALLERY</a></li> </ul> </nav> li {list-style: none;} nav li { display: inline; font-size: 1.2em; margin: 0 12px;}ive set the li to display: inline block with no luck

<nav> <ul> <li><a href="home.html">HOME</a></li> <li><a href="trailers.html" rel="tag">TRAILERS</a></li> <li class="active"><a href="gallery.html">GALLERY</a></li> </ul> </nav> li {list-style: none;} nav li { display: inline; font-size: 1.2em; margin: 0 12px;} there is an erorr in ur CSS! u told the browser to render nav li as inline and not inline-block.

ok I think i see where my problem is. Applying the border to the LI was the issue because it will take the width of the LI, and not my A tag. I've edited my code so that it takes precedence on the anchor tag and not the LI...Capture3.JPGprevious.active { border-top: 2px solid #777777; color: #488FCD; text-shadow: 0 0 24px #0099FF;}edited.active a { border-top: 2px solid #777777; color: #488FCD; text-shadow: 0 0 24px #0099FF;}

<nav> <ul> <li><a href="home.html">HOME</a></li> <li><a href="trailers.html" rel="tag">TRAILERS</a></li> <li class="active"><a href="gallery.html">GALLERY</a></li> </ul> </nav> li {list-style: none;} nav li { display: inline; font-size: 1.2em; margin: 0 12px;} there is an erorr in ur CSS! u told the browser to render nav li as inline and not inline-block.
the reason i declared "nav li" inline is because LIs are Block level elements. I'm using a horizontal navigation, so i set "nav li" to inline. I feel that's the best approach. @O. Samuel Why are you suggesting setting it to inline-block?

Archived