asp and access database related

denny911

Helloi've made a simple MS access database to store the news articles for my future info portal.the database is named test.mdb . It contains a table named news_tblIt looks something like this:id | news_header | news_content-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------123 SOME TITLE corresponding content456 OTHER TITLE other contentetc._____________________________________________________now, i have this ASP code:<%set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")conn.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.Open(Server.Mappath("test.mdb"))set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")rs.Open "Select * from news_tbl", conn'The first number indicates how many records to copy'The second number indicates what recordnumber to start onp=rs.GetRows(2,0)%><% response.write(p(1,0))%><br> --------> i insert this code where i want my title to appear<%response.write(p(2,0))%> --------> i insert this where i want the content to appear<%rs.closeconn.close%>this code displays the value (content) of corresponding fields above (in this case, it will displaySOME TITLEcorresponding contentand that is only for the table row which id is 123.BUT.. i intend to have a lots of links which will be something like this: http://www.my-site.info/news/news-details.asp?id=xxx (xxx=any 3 numbers).. when a user clicks on such a link, i want the code to display the records from a row with the id=xxxwhat i have to do in order to have the page news-details.asp displaying records from only the table row with the id contained in the link?if anyone helps me in any way, i will be very grateful.

Ok, so fisrt you need to recuparate the id value from your url string like this :

Dim idid = Request.QueryString("id")

Then you just insert this value into your query like this :

<%'here you open the connectionSet rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")sql = " SELECT * FROM newst_tlb WHERE ID = '" & id & "' "rs.Open sql, con'here you display the fields and close connection and recordset%>

Last thing, instead of using a SELECT *, you should better specify wich fields your looking for : SELECT news_header, news_content for example. That is a good way to gain some loading time.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so fisrt you need to recuparate the id value from your url string like this :
Dim idid = Request.QueryString("id")

Then you just insert this value into your query like this :

<%'here you open the connectionSet rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")sql = " SELECT * FROM newst_tlb WHERE ID = '" & id & "' "rs.Open sql, con'here you display the fields and close connection and recordset%>

Last thing, instead of using a SELECT *, you should better specify wich fields your looking for : SELECT news_header, news_content for example. That is a good way to gain some loading time.

Sorry, this is NOT working.. I've made a new post, so if you are interested, you can look what the problem is..