Forum update

justsomeguy

Welcome to 2011 W3Schools!!! This is awesome. A few bugs I see; the html entity is showing up for the '&' in my location.
About this, I think a lot of the older posts with code snippets are having entities used instead of the actual character.

I found the "like" button problem. You should now be able to give 15 "like" points a day (this is subject to change if the moderators decide to agree on a different value.)
:good: thanks!

There's a little icon in the upper right that lists all of the forums when you click it.
yeah, I saw that little guy. I liked having something similar at the bottom of the page too. Not a big deal though.

yeah, I saw that little guy. I liked having something similar at the bottom of the page too. Not a big deal though.
They have the arrow at the bottom which will push you right to the top of the page, so it's almost as good as having a navigator menu at the bottom too.

...a lot of the older posts with code snippets are having entities used instead of the actual character.
Seems that code snippets still have issues. It appears that anytime a post with code snippets is quoted, those entities are being converted again. EDIT: n/m My test/example post behaved correctly so I investigated further. Turns out I didn't look closely enough at the dates on the posts I was looking at...:blush: They are from around the time the update was first made.

is the 'like' feature in anyway attempting to emulate the one from stack overflow? I mean I know there aren't any points here, but wasn't sure if any amount of accumulated likes meant anything.

I haven't seen Stack Overflow's like system. The system here is just a default feature of this forum software that came with the upgrade. Your profile page will have a box that shows you as liked, disliked or neutral based on the amount of likes (or negative points) given to you.We haven't enabled negative points on our system and I think it's best that way; It wouldn't be good to have a competitive environment on the forums.

is the 'like' feature in anyway attempting to emulate the one from stack overflow? I mean I know there aren't any points here, but wasn't sure if any amount of accumulated likes meant anything.
For some reason, Facebook also comes to mind....:P

I haven't seen Stack Overflow's like system. The system here is just a default feature of this forum software that came with the upgrade. Your profile page will have a box that shows you as liked, disliked or neutral based on the amount of likes (or negative points) given to you.We haven't enabled negative points on our system and I think it's best that way; It wouldn't be good to have a competitive environment on the forums.
It's not so much a like system per se, as an answer vote up/down system, awarding points for good answers and more points for providing an answer that the OP picks as resolving their original problem. I wouldn't expect anything like that to happen here, nor would I want it either. Stack Overflow is a pretty serious/professional place, and (no offense) a lot of the posters would be driven right off SO, if only because they were trying to help. I like the pace here a bit more, but you can certainly get more information from a wider range of topics from SO.

Yeah, Stack Overflow is basically wiki-answers for programmers. I like the forum style a lot more than "Here's my question, I want an answer". When you ask a question forum style, you tend to learn more because you can discuss answers to your question and related topics.

I managed to tidy up the logo the best i could, with the classic drop shadow, its better than current I think, less like having a Ferrari with Skoda logo, Anyway up to you w3schools.png
anti-aliasing, ftw. :good:

Copying and pasting code is definitely weird, and the scrollbars below code boxes don't work at all in Opera. You have to click somewhere in the scroll bar area to make it jump, you can't drag the scrollbar or click the arrows. Highlighting text in those boxes also does not auto scroll as you highlight. Two steps forward, one step back.

Copying and pasting code is definitely weird, and the scrollbars below code boxes don't work at all in Opera. You have to click somewhere in the scroll bar area to make it jump, you can't drag the scrollbar or click the arrows. Highlighting text in those boxes also does not auto scroll as you highlight.
Hmm...Don't have that problem in FF. The scrollbars seem to work exactly as expected, auto-scrolling and all...
Two steps forward, one step back.
:lol: At least it wasn't the other direction. Good to know I'm not the only one having issues, but it'd be nice to have it fixed. That's probably out of the realm of possibility for anyone on this board though. Where would we submit bugs? InvisionZone? Or do the Refnes people have the capability?

hey, has anyone had any issues with clicking on one of the breadcrumb links either at the top or the bottom of a forum page and then having all posts set to read for the current sub forum they were in? (this includes graying out the main icon next to each sub-forum listed when viewing the main list of all sub-forums). I never notice it after a click or two, so I don't have a specific use case, but it's already happened twice this morning. Currently for the XML and Critiques sub forums, and yesterday for the VC sub forum. :blink:

hey, has anyone had any issues with clicking on one of the breadcrumb links either at the top or the bottom of a forum page and then having all posts set to read for the current sub forum they were in? (this includes graying out the main icon next to each sub-forum listed when viewing the main list of all sub-forums). I never notice it after a click or two, so I don't have a specific use case, but it's already happened twice this morning. Currently for the XML and Critiques sub forums, and yesterday for the VC sub forum. :blink:
So it just happend. I was in the web services sub-forum and was reading a post, and I clicked the webservices link from the breadcrumb and was directed back the web services subforum but every topic for me is now read, and in the main list of all subforums, the green/blue quote icon next the web services heading is grayed out....

Yeah, I've had this issue. It happened to me with the General forum and the Version Control forum. Funny thing is, the following day the Version Control forum had reset back to the way it was (with read and unread topics).....I didn't notice what links I had clicked or if I just refreshed the page, but now that you mention it I think I did use the breadcrumb links both times.

Archived