Solution: Apache Not Serving Pages

Fmdpa

I encountered a weird problem with Apache recently. It was not serving pages. After a little bit of research, I found the solution. It surprised me. Apparently Skype and Apache conflict for port 80. So if you have Skype installed, you must modify it to not use port 80. This blog shows how to do it. Just wanted to share that in case you are encountering the same problem. I never would have guessed that Skype had anything to do with it!

I never changed any of Skype's options. WAMP works OK on my computer as long as I start it up before skype. Of course, I'm not serving content outside of my computer, I only use WAMP for testing.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump. I just wanted to give a little explanation: When you launch WAMP before skype, it takes port 80, therefore preventing skype from being able to use it. Skype can work fine without port 80 so it doesn't give any errors.

Ok, that makes sense. I have Apache start up automatically with Windows and it still doesn't work sometimes. I don't have Skype running, so it's confusing. But if I just restart Apache everything's good.

Archived