How To Remove Blank Row Preceeding <Table>

pmehrsam

<!-- I don't want any space here --!><table><tr>***test1***</tr></table>I'm using HTML in IBM's Lotus Notes Domino product, using what IBM calls pass thru HTML to render some nice looking tables in my application. My tables are perfect except I have a blank line in front of each <table></table> that I can't see to get rid of. Any thoughts? From what I can tell HTML itself is the culprit for automatically inserting this blank line, though I can't rule out that it might be how the other product is rendering the HTML. Thanks, Paul.

I'm not using a CSS. I'm using very plain HTML that is rendered in a non-HTML environment. There is no HTML before my table, my table is the first HTML on my page. Here's what it looks like:http://postimage.org/image/22mkgg1c4 Here's my HTML:<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="660" border=0><TR><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="130" bgColor=#F7F7E6><FONT face="tahoma" size="1" color=#506C9A>Date/Time</FONT></TD><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="120" bgColor=#F7F7E6><FONT face="tahoma" size="1" color=#506C9A>Updated by</FONT></TD><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="410" bgColor=#F7F7E6><FONT face="tahoma" size="1" color=#506C9A>Comment</FONT></TD><TR valign="Top"><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="130"><FONT face="tahoma" size="1" >09/26/2011 at 11:55 AM </FONT></TD><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="120"><FONT face="tahoma" size="1">Paul M Ehrsam</FONT></TD><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="410"><FONT face="tahoma" size="1">test</FONT></TD></TR><TR valign="Top"><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="130"><FONT face="tahoma" size="1" >09/26/2011 at 11:55 AM </FONT></TD><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="120"><FONT face="tahoma" size="1">Paul M Ehrsam</FONT></TD><TD style="border:1px solid #95A8C8;" width="410"><FONT face="tahoma" size="1">test</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not using a CSS. I'm using very plain HTML that is rendered in a non-HTML environment.
Actually you are using (inline) CSS. All those style attributes are inline CSS. None of those, however, should create blank space. I'm not sure what you mean by "rendered in a non-HTML environment". Could you explain?

Actually you are using (inline) CSS. All those style attributes are inline CSS. None of those, however, should create blank space. I'm not sure what you mean by "rendered in a non-HTML environment". Could you explain?
I have an IBM Lotus Notes Domino application, that isn't viewed on the web. It can only viewed by an end user who has the IBM Lotus Notes Client installed. So my application is a "form & view" IBM application, but it has the ability to display HTML within the application. Does this make sense? If so, having said that, I'm fairly confident the extra space is part of the HTML and not from my IBM product, and I think this because I'm able to insert image files and other elements without this extra space. Thanks, Paul.

The <html> and <body> elements usually have a default margin or padding. You're going to have to remove that with a CSS rule:
html, body { margin: 0; padding: 0}

Yes, I tried out Ingolme's suggestion and found how the default padding on HTML works. When I put this code in the W3-TryItEditor the leading space is removed. Thanks!<html><body marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 leftmargin=0 topmargin=0>***TEST***</body></html>

It can almost guarantee that it's a default margin that Lotus Notes is applying. HTML by itself does absolutely nothing. You need a rendering engine to put it all together in a meaningful way. In your case, the rendering engine would be Lotus Notes.So, with that in mind, you could try Ingolme's solution of resetting margins/padding on the body and html elements. You may need to put that in style attributes if Lotus doesn't support embedded or external CSS. If that doesn't work you can try resetting margins on the table elements.

Archived