How To Implement Ligature For Indian Languages In Pdf Documents?

dilipvshah

I wish to use XSL-FO technology to generate PDF documents in Indian languages. Here are the steps I took:1) I downloaded fop-1.0 and tried their first example to display a name. I tried to display name in one of the Indian languages, Gujarati.2) I modified the fop configuration file to load Arial Unicode MS3) The example application does produce PDF document with Gujarati fonts but the text is displayed as a sequence of individual characters and doesn't use ligature to display the text correctly Could someone tell me how to implement ligatures to generate PDF documents that have Indian languages? Thanks in advance!

Are you sure your .fo file is UTF-8 encoded? It must be for fancy stuff like this to display correctly.

In my case, it's an .xsl file, which is utf-8 encoded.It's the sample example from Apache's fop site: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/quickstartguide.htmlI just changed the name to my name in Indian language Gujarati. The font glyphs are displayed in the ordered they are entered in Google's transliterate tool but since ligature rules are not applied, the name is displayed incorrectly. So, my question is... does XSL-FO tool such as FOP have ligature rules for Indian languages? If so, how do I apply them when generating a PDF document. By the way, I've tried to do what I'm attempting using iText and ran into the same issue and the iText team informed me that iText does not have ligature for Indian languages.

I don't know about such support... you'll have to ask the FOP guys themselves.But I'd think that if everything is UTF-8 encoded (the XSLT file, the XML file, all charset/encoding option you can find at any place of the chain, a UTF-8 compatible font like "Arial Unicode MS"), it should display correctly.

What I'm looking for is work in progress at FOP. The following link has the details:http://old.nabble.com/How-To-Implement-Ligature-For-Indian-Languages-In-Pdf-Documents--td32677144.html Beyond appropriate fonts with all the needed glyphs, the display or doc generation technology needs to have text layout engine to handle ligatures. Just the fonts are not enough to handle complex languages such as Arabic, Devanagari, Gujarati, etc.

Archived