E-Mail Questions

funkyjunky

What are the only characters your can use in e-mail adresses?Can you use letters with acents? (You know ith like little dots and lines above them!)Whats the longest e-mail adress youve seen?Is it possible just to have somthing like _.@hotmail.com?? With no letters or numbers!!Just wondering :):)

Any charachters can be used in the body of any email, plaint text or HTML.As far as limitations on usernames, I suppose any character combination would be valid, but the server (or ISP or host or whoever) may have limitations on length, use certain characters, etc. I know at one point Yahoo! Mail prevented certain usernames that containted the string "alah" due to users creating names that were offensive to Islamics, so it's really up to the provider there.As far as the longest E-Mail address I've ever seen...http://www.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcde...bcdefghijk.com/provides free email addresses for user@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijk.comSo I suppose they can get quite large. However, most web builders still create forms that allow only 50 characters for an email address submission.

I should note that usernames are not currently, but in my opinion, should be, limited to a person's name. Databases are easier to manage, multiple accounts will not be a problem, and it i s simply more professional. I also (obviosuly) advocate the user of one's first letter of their first name, followed by their last name.So, being that my name is Matthew Poer my username is either matthew, matthew.poer, or mpoer everywhere I go. I was actually wondering my peers' thoughts on the use of real names as usernames? Seems like a good time to ask now.

Any charachters can be used in the body of any email, plaint text or HTML.
That is not what he/she asked...! He/she asked if you can use any special characters in the username field of the email address; for example:nàme@email.comSee the later 'a' above?