Domain Name

Don E

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this but since web servers basically have to do with domain names, I posted here. This is a domain name related question. I got a hosting plan about a year or so ago with a web hosting company called ipower.com. At the time it was a really good deal and I decided to get it, but in the process I registered a domain name with them when getting that hosting plan. A year came and gone and I decided NOT to renew the hosting but to renew/keep the domain name. So right now at the moment the domain name is being held in something called 'Domain Holding Account'; basically something where you are allowed to manage your domain name with. So now I come to find out that "managing" isn't really managing with them because recently I tried to make some changes to the domain name, like what IP address to point to it, etc, and I am not allowed or more accurately put, not being allowed to do that. If you register a domain name(just the name, no hosting) with a hosting company, or a registrar, aren't you allowed to do anything you want with that domain name? Meaning like for example, point it to any host you want? That is what I tried doing for testing purposes this past weekend. I tried to point my domain name to my house and wasn't able to. So what do you guys suggest I do? I know I can transfer the domain name according to what they told me, but what if I don't want to transfer to another hosting company but to just a place where I can simply manage it however I please? Isn't there places for this? Thanks to anyone and everyone who supplies their input. Thanks!

did you talk about the problem with your hosting provider?

What you get when you buy a domain name is the ability to point it to one or more DNS servers. You don't get DNS servers. The DNS server is the one that determines name-to-ip stuff.If you've moved to a new host, the new host should provide you with their "name servers". Place those in your domain control panel. If your new host is your own computer, you'll either have to set up a DNS server on your own, or use a service like those justsomeguy suggested.

Archived