Do I Need A New Dedicated Server?

reflex84

Hi, I have questions with regards to dedicated servers and the package we currently have with Godaddy. Our dedicater server specs are as follows: OS: Microsoft Windows server 2003, Web edition, service pack 2Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz1GB Ram150GB Hard driveI'm not sure what our bandwidth is, but I think its 500GB per month20GB FTP BackupMySQLHmailserverPHP 5 We are paying $115 /m for this dedicated server!Am I getting ripped off? I hear that Godaddy is only good for buying domain names and thats it!This dedicated server is like the computer people bought back in the late 90's!! I am really considering "upgrading" my dedicated server and what we don't like about the Godaddys dedicated server, is the fact that we DO NOT have tech support!!We do need tech support. Further questions:1) Is it necessary to have a faster computer and operating system?2) Who can offer me a dedicated server with full support (so if we have problems with the hmailserver or MySQL, we can contact the company to resolve the issue(s)?3) If I decide to go with a new dedicated server, can we simply transfer all the data from our current server to the new server? I would appreciate your responce / advice and suggestions, thanks!

This dedicated server is like the computer people bought back in the late 90's!!
In the late 90s people were buying Pentium 2 and Pentium 3 chips. The 3GHz P4s came out around 2003-2004.
Is it necessary to have a faster computer and operating system?
It depends what you're using it for, and how much traffic you have. Our primary server has 4 quad-core Xeons (16 cores total), only 4GB RAM, and about 1.5TB of usable disk space, and it easily handles 800-1000GB of traffic per month on a pretty database-heavy application. Right now it's getting about 7 requests per second at 0.14% CPU load, in the last 3 days it's had 1.8 million total requests for 180GB. When we were having speed issues, the things that helped the most were to increase the RAM and increase the performance of the storage system, the hard drives were too slow. Fast hard drives will give you much more return than a lot of other things because the server (especially MySQL) is frequently waiting for data to come back. That server has 2 1.5TB SCSI drives in a RAID array. With 1GB of RAM, you'll want to upgrade that also. The CPU will be fine for a while until you start getting a lot of traffic, then you'll want to upgrade that also.
Who can offer me a dedicated server with full support (so if we have problems with the hmailserver or MySQL, we can contact the company to resolve the issue(s)?
What you want to look for is a managed dedicated server. You don't want an unmanaged server, that means you do all of the maintenance. Look for hosts that offer managed dedicated servers. It looks like Hostgator has managed dedicated servers. We have ours hosted at Cybertrails here in Phoenix.
If I decide to go with a new dedicated server, can we simply transfer all the data from our current server to the new server?
The short answer is yes. The time it takes to do that depends on the configs of your old vs. new server. It's real easy of both servers are Linux servers running WHM/cPanel, but it looks like you're hosted on Windows with Godaddy. I don't think I've ever tried to migrate accounts between Windows servers.

Archived