Any Free Webhosting Choices?

tinfanide

I've had always a number of questions relating setting up a website.I want to set up a personal website.What should I need? A server?A domain name? And is there a free option that I can have somewhere to store my web data files (FTP) and a domain name so that users can type in the address and go to my page?

firstly, FTP is just a protocol, and is just a means of commincation, like HTTP is. It is not storage, or hosting or anything like that. You would use FTP to move files from computer to another. (i.e. to upload files from your computer to your host). The parts you have right though. You need a domain for people to type into their browser, and a host to store the files and to be associated with the domain name via DNS. There is a thread in this forum with posts regarding hosting and domain name registration. Usually there is a catch for going down the entirely free route, so figure out what you need and make sure you get it when picking out a service provider.

In XAMPPThere are AphaceFileZilla I suppose FileZilla is the FTP upload tool to the hostAphace is the serverBut how about the host? Any free choice?I used to work in a company where I am responsible for hosting a site.That time I just dragged files from the local computer to the FTP tool (I'm not sure) and then it shows online. So, what at present I lack? A domain name and a host (that stores data?)? Any free option for the domain name and host?

in xampp you are using your server hosted in your computer. You need a host. host runs a remote web server where you put your files and set up your database in mysql server and make site avaiable publicaly. as you already guessed filezilla will make conection to the host and send files using ftp once you have set up your a/c in a particula host. apart from that host also gives you webbased cpanel to manage your files and database etc.domain name is not nescery if you are looking for educational purpose or and test purpose. host gives you a subdomain when you register. There is lot of domain name registar. TLD is not free. but there is dot.tk, co.cc like domains which register domain for free but relaibilty of those is questionable. it iis not recomended to use one of them for comercial use.For free webhost there are many just google it. eg hostgator.com,atbhost.net etc

I've finally successfully set up my first site online.http://lifelearning.xtreemhost.com/index.html I use Dreamweaver to connect to the remote stie server through FTP. The host XtreemHost provides the SQL space and webspace.Editing in DW and saving the file means direct putting file onto the host. Yet, I can upload it in the CPanel interface.I wonder if XAMPP is still needed on my computer? And lifelearning is my site name,xtreemhost is the host name?How about the domain name? Sub-domain name?

I wonder if XAMPP is still needed on my computer?
You will need XAMPP to to develop your site localy. Will you want to upload the files onine remote server everytime??? upload- >test->debug>edit->reupload and so on. ?? ofcourse not. it will eat your time!
xtreemhost is the host name?
yes. more appropiately, xtreemhost is your host domain name.
How about the domain name? Sub-domain name?
now you are using a subdomain of your host. you can point to your domain once you have bought one. and there after you need to just set namserver in your domain setting. once you have your domain you can set up subdomains as many you want using .htaccess

You will need XAMPP to to develop your site localy. Will you want to upload the files onine remote server everytime??? upload- >test->debug>edit->reupload and so on. ?? ofcourse not. it will eat your time!
Yes, just then I've been playing with Dreamweaver to upload my localhost file automatically to the server.I edit in DW and press F12 (preview in IE) and DW auto upload (put the file) to the host server.IE opens it as the public site instead of "localhost/index.html" which I've done before with XAMPP. (I have not opened XAMPP then) I asked my friends to go to the site and they can see it on their computer with the Internet connection.Now I see what ya guys have been explaining these days on this post. Yes, it is a free hosting option and that's why I'm using XtreemHost as the domain name. But it is okay for testing my pages now. It's personal use.But later on I think I will be learning the htaccess stuff for my own site, which I only had the chance to look at when I used to work for my department for web hosting.

Archived