Html5 In Xslt

brian

Am trying to use <!DOCTYPE html > in xslt but it shows error anything am missing to correct form of html5 in xslt. please suggest.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!-- Edited by XMLSpy® --><xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:template match="/">  <!DOCTYPE html >   <body style="background-color:#CCCCCC">     <h2>My CD Collection</h2>	<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">	  <tr bgcolor="#9acd32" style="text-indent:10px;">		<th>Title</th>		<th>Artist</th>		<th>Country</th>	  </tr>	  <xsl:for-each select="catalog/cd">	  <tr style="text-indent:10px;">		<td><xsl:value-of select="title"/></td>		<td><xsl:value-of select="artist"/></td>		<td><xsl:value-of select="country" /></td>	  </tr>	  </xsl:for-each>	</table>  </body>  </html></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet> 

Well the problem is that XSLT 1.0 dates from 1999 and XSLT 2.0 from 2007 while HTML5 is a moving target. I know that Saxon 9.3 does output

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

for

<xsl:output method="html" version="5.0"/>

but I don't think other XSLT processors do that.Putting the DOCTYPE node into a template in the stylesheet, as you have tried, is not allowed by the XML syntax of XSLT stylesheets.What you could try is

<xsl:template match="/">  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"><![CDATA[<!DOCTYPE html>]></xsl:text>  ...</xsl:template>

at least as long as the XSLT result is serialized (which for instance the XSLT processor built into Mozilla browsers does not do).

You're also missing an opening <html> tag BTW. Remove that and the DTD, and the error will be gone.The generated document will not be a "valid" HTML5 document (well... not per the validator), but if XSLT is executing in the browser, that shouldn't really be a concern.

Archived