<Font>

Krewe

Hey Guys... Well this really isn't an issue just curiosity.I use Dreamweaver's Validate Document process every now and then to see what it says.I am not getting a warning that <Font> is a tag that is depreciated. I know <u> and <b> are Depreciated but why font?Is there a better tag I don't know about? I know css can help but font is the only html tag I know that will do what I want. ~Krewe

Is there a better tag I don't know about? I know css can help but font is the only html tag I know that will do what I want.
which is? edit: on a side note, since <font> is deprecated, it should just be a reminder that Dreamweaver and WYSIWYG editors aren't entirely reliable in their design/preview/etc modes/features.

There is nothing you can do with font that can't be accomplished with a span tag and CSS. Take the W3Schools example:

<font size="3" color="red">This is some text!</font><font size="2" color="blue">This is some text!</font><font face="verdana" color="green">This is some text!</font>

Would be:

<span style='font-size: 16px; color: red;'>This is some text!</span><span style='font-size: 13px; color: blue;'>This is some text!</span><span style='font-family: Verdana; color: green;'>This is some text!</span>

I am not sure what pixel values the size attribute values correspond to but the values above are what FireBug said the values were. But it doesn't really matter because it will just take a little trial and error to get the size you're looking for.

@Foxy I was Taught it was and to only use the strong tag.@Shadow I said I know everything font can do can be done by CSS, however, when you are teaching kids HTML only in highschool because teaching HTML/CSS at the same time is "asking too much of kids". So I'd like to know HTML alts if there are any.@Scientist I NEVER USE DESIGN VIEW IN DREAMWEAVER... I am a firm believer of never ever ever using it.

@Foxy I was Taught it was and to only use the strong tag.
Honestly, I'm not sure why the <b> tag is not deprecated. The <strong> tag should only be used when you want to place emphasis on a particular word. The <strong> tag is interpreted a little differently than the <b> tag or styled <span> tags by screen readers and things like that.If you just want to make a word bold (without emphasis) you should use the <b> tag or a styled <span> tag.
@Shadow I said I know everything font can do can be done by CSS, however, when you are teaching kids HTML only in highschool because teaching HTML/CSS at the same time is "asking too much of kids". So I'd like to know HTML alts if there are any.
IMO, teaching the two at the same time only makes sense. However, I can understand the reasoning behind keeping them separate, too.That being said, I think it is a terrible idea to teach deprecated tags and outdated practices. If you're going to only teach HTML, then teach the HTML that is valid and accepted. If a student asks "Well, how do I make text red?" You say "HTML can't do that." Then when you get to CSS you can show them how to style their markup.But that's just my 2 cents...:P
@Scientist I NEVER USE DESIGN VIEW IN DREAMWEAVER... I am a firm believer of never ever ever using it.
Good! :good:

<u> was deprecated because underlined text is often confused with links and the W3C decided it was best not to encourage people to underline text.<b> and <i> are not deprecated because they can be used to denote special text that doesn't have another element associated to it. <strong> and <em> shouldn't be used as a plain substitute for <b> and <i>, they should only be used to denote emphasis. If a word or set of words are not emphasized, use a <span>, <b> or <i> element.

Thanks Foxy. That really explained a lot except for one thing.WHY IS <FONT> DEPRECIATED? Haha Font is the only tag you can use, without css, that will give you good styling on text.And if you can't use another tag in HTML without prior knowledge to another language why depreciate it? Thanks Krewe

The <font> tag was deprecated because it does not describe content. Again, technically neither do <b> or <i>, but these inline elements can be used to give importance to words where no other tags fit. Example:

<p>The red fox, scientifically known as <i>Vulpes vulpes</i> [...]</p>

HTML's only purpose is to describe the content it contains and nothing more. Technically, browsers have no obligation to style specific elements in any way. CSS is the language one must learn if they wish to change the appearance of this content. There should be no phase in learning where you want to style a page without knowing CSS.

Archived