Social Networking Website Login

Fmdpa

Few people will register on a website unless they must. Because of this, websites that allow you to login with Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, Google, etc. are a lot more likely to attract interaction from visitors. But it's kind of a pain having to deal with all of the different APIs. Does anyone know of a library (Like OAuth - but that only works with RoR AFAIK) that allows you to easily create a login system with these websites?

OAuth is an API. You should be able to do it with any language. They did it with Ruby on Rails, but you could do it with PHP or any other language. Google shows you how to use their API here: http://code.google.com/intl/fr/apis/accounts/docs/OAuth.htmlOther sites have OAuth APIs as well, but you'll have to look for the documentation on their sites. Since OAuth is some kind of standard, most sites will probably do it the same way and you won't need to change your code except to put the right URL to communicate with them. In PHP, you'll probably need to perform HTTP requests with the cURL library. I don't know much about it yet because I never needed it up to now.

I'm actually doing OAuth for an e-commerce iTV app right now in Javascript, but they are implementing their own flavor of the standard (less "strict"). However I do have experience using the traditional standard which is quite excellently documented as part of the Twitter API auth process. What is common to all implementations is the signing and auth process. How each language accomplishes that is different, but still needs to come to the same end result. Let me know if you need any helps through the auth/signing process. I am not familiar with RoR but I would be up for even the most basic of exposure, even if it was just limited to seeing the code in action.

What is common to all implementations is the signing and auth process
That's a relief. But it would still be rather tedious implementing at least four different logins. I said "OAuth", but I actually meant "omniAuth" (http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ruby/how-to-use-omniauth-to-authenticate-your-users/) It looks like it makes things a lot easier, but it is only for RoR AFAICS. I can't find a PHP equivalent.

Archived