Web Hosting Manager

jimfog

I am going to rent a VPS so i can host a web application i am preparing. This means, creating many cpanel accounts. Is there a tool-like XAMP- for example that i can practice in administering a VPS/web hosting manager? Something that will help me build some knowledge so when the time comes i know some basic things about how to administer a VPS

A "VPS" is an installation of a full OS with all required applications. The only way to practice is to actually install and use such an OS yourself. You can preserve your existing OS by installing this on a virtual machine (which is what your host will do anyway... "V" stands for "Virtual" after all).IMO, the best program for creating virtual machines is Oracle's VirtualBox. If you currently have Windows, there's also Microsoft's Virtual PC, but keep in mind it has less features (e.g. it misses snapshots and 3D acceleration).Exactly what OS and what software to install (and how to install it) are all separate questions... any Linux distribution will do, but the rest is up to you. Get ready for an adventure.

Archived