Row Count Not Working Or Showing

Rob (SA)

Hi Folks, I have a page that is not funtioning properly I would like the entries in MySQL to be counted under a specific event and then the number of entries for the specific event show in the respective column "Total entered" I have provided some html of what is generally written with the hope someone can add value.

<html><head><style type="text/css">#customers{font-family:"Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:100%;border-collapse:collapse;}#customers td, #customers th{font-size:0.7em;border:3px solid #FFFFFF;padding:3px 7px 2px 7px;}#customers th{font-size:0.7em;text-align:left;padding-top:2px;padding-bottom:2px;background-color:#376091;color:#ffffff;}#customers tr.alt td{color:#000000;background-color:#B5CCE4;}#customers tr.alt2 td{color:#000000;background-color:#95B3D7;}</style></head><body><table id="customers"><tr class="th"><td> </td><div><font style="font-size:16px" color="#5A6A83" face="Arial">UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS ARE LISTED BELOW</font></div></button></div></td><td> </td></tr><tr>  <th>GOLF COURSE</th>  <th>DAY</th>  <th>DATE</th>  <th>TOTAL ENTERED</th>  <th>ENTRY STATUS</th>  <th>ENTER</th></tr><tr class="alt"><td>HETTIE ELS</td><td>KEMPTON PARK GC</td><td>05 JANUARY 2011</td><?php//call the function that will count the entries for us$tournament="KEMPTON PARK GC - 05/01/2011";$num_rows=count_entries("$tournament");?><td>WEDNESDAY</td><td><?php echo $num_rows; ?></td><?phpif($num_rows >= 96){echo '<td><font style="font-size:11px" color="Red" face="Arial">CLOSED</td><td> </td>';}else{echo '<td><b><font style="font-size:11px"  color="Blue" face="Arial">OPEN</b></td><td><form action="https://www.payfast.co.za/eng/process" method="post"><input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_paynow"><input type="hidden" name="receiver" value="junior@hayesgolf.co.za"><input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Payment - Kempton Park - Glacier Series"><input type="hidden" name="item_description" value="payment"><input type="hidden" name="amount" value="120.00"><input type="hidden" name="return_url" value="http://www.gnjgf.co.za/entryform.php"><input type="hidden" name="cancel_url" value="http://www.gnjgf.co.za/Glacier_Main.html"><input type="submit" style="width:66px;height:20px;background-color:#B5CCE4;font-size:10px; font-family: arial, sans-serif;" value="PAY NOW"></td>';}?>   

Hi , I thought this information does the work of counting

<?php //call the function that will count the entries for us $tournament="KEMPTON PARK GC - 05/01/2011"; $num_rows=count_entries("$tournament"); ?>
In that it would search for the data in a field in MySQL matching "Kempton Park . . . . " and count only the matching values. I am not a programmer so I go on anothers lead Thanks for your replies

You need to remove the quotes around the variable name, but other than that the syntax is fine. If it returns a blank value then something in the count_entries function is wrong or the value that you're passing to it isn't found in the database. That function is not built into PHP, it's a custom function that someone else wrote.

Archived