Most Important Suggestion

amitamberker

Hello Everyone,I think W3Schools Forums should provide "Live Chat" option to members. Your thoughts please?

Hmmm in my opinion chat is only useful for spending your time when you are bored and want to talk with someone. For this kind of websites like w3schools, i don't think it would be that useful since with a forum, you can re read old posts or search through them for reference. Chatting doesn't have this functionality. What is more, there is only a few people answering questions, so can you imagine 10-20 people asking for help from one particular guy? That would really bring them in a difficult position.

I agree with creative1977 that a chat feature would be useful at times. I have seen forum posts where there are multiple replies only minutes, sometimes seconds, apart. I've also seen whole threads where the replies are only minutes apart. However, theGallery brings up a very important point:

...with a forum, you can re read old posts or search through them for reference. Chatting doesn't have this functionality.
But then again there are ways to archive chat conversations. There might even be a way to archive it in a thread-like fashion. I'm not sure how easy a task this would be, but it is almost certainly more difficult than a true forum thread. Then again maybe it's not so difficult. I've never dealt with a chat application so I can't say for sure. Either way, I do think creative1977 has a valid suggestion worth considering.

From my own experience, I always expect a programmed response from chats. Logistically I don't see it either (see TheGallery's post). I'd also add that too many newer users (ones without the wisdom to actually read the tutorials) would flood that system. No offense intended.-Grahamalluringmedia.net

I wouldn't do well answering questions in a chat. I need time to think out and organize my posts.
Yeah, that was another thing I thought of. The more I think about, the more I think a chat wouldn't work so well. It sounds good in theory, but when you really think about it, it starts to lose its luster.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe most of us (including me) badly / seriously need a Live Chat option...........

so can you imagine 10-20 people asking for help from one particular guy? That would really bring them in a difficult position.
Hi TheGallery, That's a Good Point. I think there should be some kind of PRIVATE section in the Live Chat option so that only 2 person can discuss at a time. Thus, those 2 person can focus on their discussion.

Since this is a web development forum, the ability to read and edit code posted in the topics makes the live chat a weak alternative for me. It's hard enough with people not using code tags or indenting/formatting their code when they post, let alone the rapid fire pace that a chat would provide and lack of formality. I think ultimately it would just turn into a hang out of sorts which is cool, but not necessarily productive when you can just PM people and engage them in more socially conducive placees; facebook, google+. IRC, etc.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use a chat system. I try to post answers to several topics in a matter of a few minutes and then get on with my work. I don't have time to sit in a chat room trying to help a single person when I can use the same time to answer multiple threads.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use a chat system. I try to post answers to several topics in a matter of a few minutes and then get on with my work. I don't have time to sit in a chat room trying to help a single person when I can use the same time to answer multiple threads.
Hi justsomeguy, Well said! I agree with you. But however, people like me (and of course many other members globally) would prefer to discuss One to One on a Live Chat. I can understand that you prefer to post answers to several topics in a matter of a few minutes and then get on with your work. But there is no harm in spending few minutes in a Chat Room trying to help a specific person with the same time to answer multiple threads. And moreover, thus the particular member who is seeking help would be benefited quicker, faster and easier.

the ability to read and edit code posted in the topics makes the live chat a weak alternative for me.
Hi thescientist,I disagree with that statement. I mean, the ability to read and edit code posted in the topics is a different issue and Live Chat is a different issue. I strongly believe Live Chat would be Very Strong alternative which would be very helpful to members.

Hi thescientist, I disagree with that statement. I mean, the ability to read and edit code posted in the topics is a different issue and Live Chat is a different issue. I strongly believe Live Chat would be Very Strong alternative which would be very helpful to members.
Ok, well then I disagree with your disagreement. Let's get this blow by blow. I will enact a fictional scenario using a person seeking information/solutions (#N) and 2 helpers (H1 + H2):
#N: Hi all! Glad I'm here in the chat room. I'm kicking it and drinkin some Dew! What's up yo?!?H1: What can I help you with #N?
#N: Hey there H1! How are things going? I'm running into some issues with some server side scripting. I'm getting some error messages with PHP. Can you help me out?
H2: I'm pretty sure we can. Did you look over the tutorials?
#N: Woah, there are two people helping me! This is so wild!!
#N: Yeah, so I've got this project and I want to write new data to a database with PHP. I'm getting some errors
H1: We've already established that #N. What is the error message. Also, you didn't answer H2's answer. Please be more specific.
H2: I have to go microwave a hot pocket.
#N: Ok, ok, H1, calm down, I was getting to it. So I have this problem
And I'll stop right there because it's already 3 people turning something that can be handled properly on a topic/forum into a nightmare. It's easy to ask a question with vague details and then things get worse when there aren't any links or someone doesn't check the W3schools site all together. Unfortunately it eats up time that can be used in a more efficient way.Sorry if this is a little heavy. I'm not trying to come across cocky or arrogant (although it doesn't 'read' well). I'm just trying to better illustrate what "could" happen, and probably will. -Graham

Ok, well then I disagree with your disagreement. Let's get this blow by blow. I will enact a fictional scenario using a person seeking information/solutions (#N) and 2 helpers (H1 + H2):
#N: Hi all! Glad I'm here in the chat room. I'm kicking it and drinkin some Dew! What's up yo?!?
H1: What can I help you with #N?
#N: Hey there H1! How are things going? I'm running into some issues with some server side scripting. I'm getting some error messages with PHP. Can you help me out?
H2: I'm pretty sure we can. Did you look over the tutorials?
#N: Woah, there are two people helping me! This is so wild!!
#N: Yeah, so I've got this project and I want to write new data to a database with PHP. I'm getting some errors
H1: We've already established that #N. What is the error message. Also, you didn't answer H2's answer. Please be more specific.
H2: I have to go microwave a hot pocket.
#N: Ok, ok, H1, calm down, I was getting to it. So I have this problem
And I'll stop right there because it's already 3 people turning something that can be handled properly on a topic/forum into a nightmare. It's easy to ask a question with vague details and then things get worse when there aren't any links or someone doesn't check the W3schools site all together. Unfortunately it eats up time that can be used in a more efficient way. Sorry if this is a little heavy. I'm not trying to come across cocky or arrogant (although it doesn't 'read' well). I'm just trying to better illustrate what "could" happen, and probably will. -Graham
Thats more like a worst case scenario. I rarely see situations like that on IRC, on the popular channels at least. One thing live chat will bring unfortunately is a lot of: #N: Anyone there?#N Can anyone help me?#N Please anyone?#N PHP sucks! Still it would be a great improvement on w3schools part, the forums are wonderful but sometimes you just dont have the time to wait for a response.

sometimes you just dont have the time to wait for a response.
This is why it is important to be able to debug and troubleshoot on your own, which is one of the skills we try to teach in the forum. Regardless, we may be able to set up a chat module for the forum if one of the admins has the time and necessary information to do it.

Regardless, we may be able to set up a chat module for the forum if one of the admins has the time and necessary information to do it.
Hi justsomeguy, I just hope one of the Admins get the Time and Necessary Information to set-up a "Live Chat Module" for the forum members.

Hi Allen Lawson, Welcome on the board!

if you had a quick question and really needed it answered it could be useful
It depends upon situation, circumstances, case scenario and member to member. If 2 members are serious, they would certainly put their best foot forward to help and learn. For example, if I meet: - dsonesuk- Krewe- TheGallery- justsomeguy- Ingolmeand other similar kind of members... We would certainly put our best foot forward. But however, I agree that Ingolme might not do well answering questions in a chat since he needs time to think out and organize his posts. Coming back to justsomeguy, he might not use a Chat System because he prefers to post answers to several topics in a matter of a few minutes and then get on with his work. He feels that he does not have time to sit in a chat room trying to help a single person (or multiple members) when he can use the same time to answer multiple threads. I agree with them. They are correct in their point-of-views. But like I said, people like me and of course other members across the globe would prefer to discuss on a Live Chat. I believe it would be PRODUCTIVE to spend few minutes in a Chat Room as well trying to help multiple members or specific person. I hope the Admins get their Time and Necessary Information to set-up a "Live Chat Module" for forum members.
but as demonstrated above, it could get Confusing and you would have no reference to look back on.
It depends on members perception......

OT: I am flattered you put me on that list creative1977 but I don't belong there. I am self-taught and only got a year of actual experience or something. My knowledge is really limited right now, I am just active because I really like this, and I want to become better. I like helping people with their issues because when I first started I needed help too, and i believe those other members you mentioned(+some others) could focus on more advanced topics than the ones with simple questions(if you search, you'll notice i am replying in beginner's topics). So, even though i'll do what i can to help them, the assistance i could give is only limited to a few topics.

OT: I am flattered you put me on that list creative1977 but I don't belong there. I am self-taught and only got a year of actual experience or something. My knowledge is really limited right now, I am just active because I really like this, and I want to become better. I like helping people with their issues because when I first started I needed help too, and i believe those other members you mentioned(+some others) could focus on more advanced topics than the ones with simple questions(if you search, you'll notice i am replying in beginner's topics). So, even though i'll do what i can to help them, the assistance i could give is only limited to a few topics.
Hi TheGallery,LOL :) You deserve to be on that list over there. I am sure even many unknown members also deserve to be on that list. Because, you are looking for help from other members and also you are trying to help others.

Archived