Loosing My Patience

Alluring

Ok HTML 5 can not happen quick enough. I'm done waiting for videos. I'm aware of the set backs from multiple users viewing a video on a server but I just can't stand watching that (@!#!*$^!) wheel turn any longer. Is H.264 even the answer?

What exactly is the problem? If you have a video that takes too long to stream, first make sure it is actually a streaming video (or progressive download), and also look into reducing the bitrate. If you're streaming videos off of a hosted server you're limited by the server's bandwidth, so to decrease the loading time you either need to allocate more bandwidth to the server, or reduce the size of the video.

Perhaps I didn't provide enough information in my first post. I was trying to elude to the general experience I have, as a viewer, concerning video across multiple sites (youtube, arstechnica, wired, etc) over the internet. I have no say in the factors you mentioned on others' sites. This is an "out-of-box" topic and wanted to know others opinions about H.264. From what I gather it is a hi-definition codec. Why is high def (ref, ref)being touted as the next best thing on the internet if I'm still experiencing problems (the spinning wheel of death) waiting for standard def (360). Think of it as a talking point more than a question directed towards W3. I'm wondering if anyone else sees the flaw in logic here. Like I said, this isn't geared towards W3Schools but I also think it's important to talk about.

I don't think I have complaints about youtube. A decent Flash video player is just fine. If you're concerned about loading times, that has to do with the user's connection and not the video itself.

I concur with Ingolme. I watch tons of YouTube and other content using HTML5 Video. I am a Mac user, I use a old 2006 iMac with a add on inside safari specifically made to turn whatever flash it finds into a HTML5 video if possible. I see nothing more than increased speed and quality when using HTML5 Video. If you are having trouble with a video its your computer or your internet connection. Flash does have some perks as it kinda can compress a good video to look like 'horse do do' and load well on a bad connection, but H.264 and HTML5 Video is superior.

Archived