Ms Sql Server 2000 Dts Designer Components Stopped Working

kwilliams

I recently got a new machine that runs Windows 7 Professional with 64-bit OS. I re-installed several programs, and tried to install SQL Server 2000 without success. I was told that it wasn't compatible with Windows 7, but that I could download MS's "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" to manage old DTS packages.This worked great a first for several weeks, and then blamo, it just stopped working for no reason. I can view all of the DTS packages with SQL Server 2005 under SERVERNAME > Management > Legacy > Data Transformation Services, but as soon as I try to open one, I get this error:------------------------------TITLE: Object ExplorerThis package cannot be edited.SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit DTS packages. Install the special Web download, "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" to use this feature.If the "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" download is already installed, there might be a problem with the compatibility of icons persisted in this DTS package. See the following KB article for more details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917406 (Microsoft.SqlServer.DtsObjectExplorerUI)------------------------------First off, I made sure that "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" is already installed on my machine several times via the Add/Remove Programs list. I then followed the steps on the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917406 without success. I cannot insert the SQL Server 2000 CD into my system, as I get an immediate error about incompatibility.Has this happened to anyone else here? If so, what should I do? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling these related components to no avail, and I'm at a loss as to why it would work before and not now. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Archived