Substitute For Notepad++

niche

My notepad++ has stopped updating the file date when I save a file. I've reinstalled it, but I'm still having the problem. What would be a good free substitute for notepad++?

Thanks for your help Don E, Ingolme, talvi . Turns out, that I was looking at the wrong date in the directory. I'm working on a new system, it was late at night, and I missed that I was looking at the wrong date in the directory. I forgot there's more than one date available. I woke up this morning and realized what my problem was. If I didn't feel so relieved, I'd feel pretty stupid. I thought I might have picked-up some kind of system infection. I once spent too much time getting some kind of infection out of my print buffer. Thanks again, Niche

• 2 weeks later...

In Notepad++, « Ctrl+S » saves the file ONLY IF IT HAS CHANGED No "niche", you are NOT "pretty stupid"; you simply fell prey to a trap in otherwise excellent Notepad+++. Go on Notepad++ Forum, "Most reliable version?" topic, then Ctrl+F ''only if it has changed" will land you on my post of Thu 09 Jul 2009 16:10:00 +0200, saying « In facts it appears "Ctrl+S" saves the file *only if it has changed* », then check the discussion that followed. As you see I was trapped as you were, but eventually I found some benefits in their choice, even in these benefits remain IMO smaller than the drawbacks. Anyway, knowing the cause of the problem may help cope with it. Versailles, Mon 23 Jan 2012 21:45:00 +0100

Archived